Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what one of these is and if I need one in order to install a Kenwood DV3200 Satnav in my 06 FXT ?
ICE installer is saying he can't get the info from Kenwood for post '02 Foresters

Cheers !

J

·
0 Posts
CAN = Controller Area Network

I too have a shiny new '06 FXT. :) I've been doing a little research on OBD units/dataloggers. There are multiple 'standardized' data formats and variants depending on whether you have car with an OBD I or OBD II unit. I've also seen references to CAN, a pretty recent bit of "OBD-related" terminology. The acronym always translates to Controller Area Network. CAN replaces an earlier format whose name escapes me at the moment. Subaru apparently switched to CAN format OBD output within the last few years.

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info :)

Can't see how that would relate to an ICE install or am I just being dense ?

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
For some odd reason, I looked at that and saw:

"Cannabis Adaptor"

OOpsie! :oops:

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
mikebike357 said:
For some odd reason, I looked at that and saw:

"Cannabis Adaptor"

OOpsie! :oops:
You're not even close to California?
Must be the Canadian influence.... :wink:

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Same here, I was going to move this to the Carburetor section ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Re: CAN = Controller Area Network

jkd said:
I too have a shiny new '06 FXT. :) I've been doing a little research on OBD units/dataloggers. There are multiple 'standardized' data formats and variants depending on whether you have car with an OBD I or OBD II unit. I've also seen references to CAN, a pretty recent bit of "OBD-related" terminology. The acronym always translates to Controller Area Network. CAN replaces an earlier format whose name escapes me at the moment. Subaru apparently switched to CAN format OBD output within the last few years.
Subaru doesn't switch to CAN in the Foresters until 2007. The 2006's are ISO-14230-4 (KWP2000). Subaru also has their own proprietary protocol for their own Subaru Select Monitor diagnostic platform. Most the Subaru specific loggers use it instead of the standard protocol because it's faster and easier to work with.

J

·
0 Posts
Forester OBD Protocol

Thanks for the KWP2000 tidbit. Given the number of PSI3 posts lately, I'll probably just do that for my 06 FXT. All I'm really looking to do is banish Idiot Lights, give me insight into any problems that the ECU picks up, and give me a way to do ECU resets for trivial stuff if needed.

R

·
0 Posts
Re: Forester OBD Protocol

jkd said:
Thanks for the KWP2000 tidbit. Given the number of PSI3 posts lately, I'll probably just do that for my 06 FXT. All I'm really looking to do is banish Idiot Lights, give me insight into any problems that the ECU picks up, and give me a way to do ECU resets for trivial stuff if needed.
PSI3 has great stuff but there are certianly cheaper alternatives for what you describe.

http://www.tari.co.za/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Re: Forester OBD Protocol

jkd said:
If you have an XT buy an AccessPort and enjoy improved performance with the ability to read and clear codes. You'll also have the cable to connect to the OBDII connector and laptop for using the Zari datalogger software (free).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts