Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you may know, I just purchased a 2010 FXT and will be taking delivery on Wednesday!:)

I was hoping to get some advice on winter tires and rims and where to buy. I'm from Ottawa and I believe that someone purchased 16 inch steelies from costco for a good price. The winter tires I want are the General Tire Arctic Altimax. I've found them for a fair price but unsure about the sizing.

Would a 205/65/16 work?

Thanks everyone

p.s.
What happens to the tpms? Does that have to be installed on the steelies too?

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Hello and welcome from Calgary.

I would stick with the stock 215/65R16 for winter tires. Also, I would order them from either tirerack.com or discount tire direct. Both vendors are in teh USA but with the dollar near par you will save money. Also, with the use of salt on your roads avoid steelies. They will rust and look like crap. For under a $100 you can get alloy rims. I did at tireack.

Also, check the laws in Ottawa/Ontario for studs. Makes it a lot safer when the ice storms hit.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Subieoutlaw had a good experience having his tires shipped from the US and with the dollar near par, that may be the way to go. Read his post in this section.
Agree on keeping the tire size's stock.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
658 Posts
Agreed, Tirerack came thru for me.

When I bought my FXT, my son pointed out that the tires were Snows, so I searched around and tirerack was the best deal - I went with some good-looking alloys for $88 each (!) and some not-so-good Fuzion tires, but that's a mistake I won't make again!

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,703 Posts
As some of you may know, I just purchased a 2010 FXT and will be taking delivery on Wednesday!:)

I was hoping to get some advice on winter tires and rims and where to buy. I'm from Ottawa and I believe that someone purchased 16 inch steelies from costco for a good price. The winter tires I want are the General Tire Arctic Altimax. I've found them for a fair price but unsure about the sizing.

Would a 205/65/16 work?

Thanks everyone

p.s.
What happens to the tpms? Does that have to be installed on the steelies too?
Does the XT come with tpms? My X Touring doesn't have it. Probably more of a PITA than it's worth. I religiously check my tire pressure at least once a month. Anyways, enjoy your new ride:bling:.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts

Would a 205/65/16 work?
Generally you would want to stick with stock size if you can BUT, some people do run a narrow winter tire on purpose. A narrower tire generally performs better in snow (cuts through easier). What size tire do you have. Tire Rack shows two sizes for the 2010 Forester: 225/55-17 and 215/65-16 That means Stock from Subaru there is already ~1% size range difference in tires.

According to this Tire Calculator going from 225/55-17 to 205/65-16 is a change of only 1.2% smaller. So I would it would definitely fit (from a clearance/rubbing standpoint), and, although may not be recommended by most, would be OK to run.

I bought my Generals (winter) from Crappy Tire, when they were 25% off, near the end of last years snow season.

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
887 Posts
My 2010 FXT has 17in wheels and no TPMS. I would confirm what tires it has before purchasing anything extra. The 17's should be the stock wheels for the XT, and as far as I know, the TPMS is a US thing that didn't make it to Canada.

·
Registered
2007 XS Premium
5 Posts
Don't see a reason to change size unless you went to a 15" to save money. I tried but the generic steel rims were too close to my brake calipers.

Got my Altimax Arctics and the steel wheels from Canadian Tire for $1100 installed (includes tax, reg price). Not bad.

I live on the outskirts of Winnipeg and have been one of the few vehicles smaller than a 1/2 ton able to make it in and out of our side streets since a windy storm drifted me in xmas overnight.

Have fun, bring a shovel just in case.

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Avensis
58 Posts
I don't see reason to put so thin tires.I was with 225/55/17 summer and changed them with 215/65/16.I even tried to put 215/70/16 bur i was not possible , althought some people here putted this size

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for my noobieness and thanks for the info.

I am looking for the best deal available and will try crappy tire for sure. The rims om my FXT are 17's but I will be going down to a 16 inch to save money and from what I've heard, they will be better to cut through snow.

On my old ford focus I didn't really care about my alloy's so I bought the same exact tire size for winters and summers and would just swap them in the fall and spring. Although, I was told by my mechanic that this was not ideal because the bead on both sets could be worn down and fail because of so much swapping.

So just for clarity, 205/65/16 would work on steelies and the FXT right?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts

Have you found steel wheels that will accept that size tire? Tirerack is telling me that if I want to buy a set of winter tires and steel wheels for my 09 X, I need to use a size 205-60-16 tire. My oem size is 215-65-16. According to tirerack, the steelies they have for my vehicle cannot be fitted w/ a size "65" tire. Let us know how you make out, I'm still negotiating w/them.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know they usually rip you off but I would ask the dealer what their price is. When I picked up my '10 PZEV in Oct I got the painted steel rims and Yokohama Ice Guard tires (16") for roughly $1000 from the dealer. I paid just over $500 for the same set of 4 Yokohama tires for my Malibu and they are 15" and that was without rims and after I checked 6 places in Montreal that all had about the same price.
So far through the first big storm of the winter here 24" of snow, I really like the tires.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
The 205/65/16 Yes.

The Steelies from Crappy Tire; I can't say for sure, but probably yes (if they have them in stock). When the Shop Guy at Crappy tire did a search of his inventory, he said they were sold out of the Steel Wheels that fit the Forester, so I had them mount the tires on my OEM wheels. Then I bought some New Alloy Wheels later. If you buy them and they don't fit, I am sure they will notice right away and give you a refund.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
357 Posts
Hi,
With all the freezing rain and snow we go so far in Ottawa, I`d seriously consider purchasing good winter tires; that`s what will give you grip when you need it. Personnaly, with all the effort and $$ it took me to get my XT, paying a few extra hundred $$ to significantly reduce my risk of dammaging or totalling it is well worth it, let alone more safety for me and my family.

According to a few magazines and articles I have read, and the CAA, the top two snow tires around are the Michelin Xice and the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. The Micheling is vey expensive so I went with the Blizzaks. This is what I have on my XT and I had the previous WS50 on my X, and they are amazing in snow.

Absolutely check out tirerack.com. (I saved 400$ compared to the local tire dealer). You can have them delivered to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY and Pick them up over there to save on shipping (only 1h from Ottawa). They also have good pices on steelies or cheap alloy rims.

Good luck with the purchase.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
I know not everyone can afford alloy winter rims but please check out the American on line vendors. My 16" rims cost UNDER $100 each. They will not rust and look great on a great looking car.

For all you Canadians.......DO NOT BE AFRAID OF ORDERING TIRES AND OR WHEELS FROM THE USA.

Save your money for our better tasting beer. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts