Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Registered
2014 2.5i LTD CVT
56 Posts
I am reviving an old thread, as summer approaches at that.

Thanks for posting this information. I will use it to convince my wife to add a block heater to our newly ordered Forester.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X 4AT
157 Posts
Good to know, I am moving to Yukon soon and wondering what sort of contraptions I will have to install.

Does anyone know which of the two blockheaters described in that pamphlet is the OEM one sold by Subaru?

Also, what do people know about battery warmers? Where I am going, I am wondering if it's not a bad idea to have both given record lows are about -70C

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Good to know, I am moving to Yukon soon and wondering what sort of contraptions I will have to install.

Does anyone know which of the two blockheaters described in that pamphlet is the OEM one sold by Subaru?

Also, what do people know about battery warmers? Where I am going, I am wondering if it's not a bad idea to have both given record lows are about -70C
Here's the correct part number for your year and model and an install PDF. http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/63113/pdf/063113-062622-062621-A091SSC000.pdf A little more work involved and may be best done at a dealer, which is your option unless you want to DIY. Send a PM to our Alaska (closest to the Yukon temps that I know of) expert bjcarter2 http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/members/13379-bjcarter2.html and you can ask him whether the two options are necessary.

You might want to get it done before the move and consider taking up some service items like oil & air filters as they can be quite pricey that far North. Most likely up there in the winter it will be plug in all the time and forget it, you'll likely also have plug in's at work so a couple of lengths of outdoor extension cords are in order. Some questions are in order for anyone you know up there too.

·
Registered
2010 PZEV 4 auto
75 Posts
Good evening all. Brand new to the form. Thought I'd share some info about something I have first hand knowledge in. I live in a small community in northern Northwest Territories where we have 8 months of winter. Bought my baby in Yukon actually...Whitehorse.

The car came with a block heater already installed. Most of the articles I've read suggest plugging in at any temp below -20 (Celsius) for engine protection.

I would definitely recommend a battery blanket. The battery just cannot maintain sufficient power at extreme temperatures. After 4-6 hrs of not being plugged in at temperatures below -40, anything with a stock battery probably won't start. I have an after market AGM battery with approx 850 cold cranking amps which would probably last for about 12-16 hrs at such temperatures with out being plugged in.

The dealer also threw in an oil pan heater for 50 bucks. Some may think this is overkill but I quite like it. After being plugged in for a few hrs at extreme temps she just purrs like a kitten when started. A lot of folks (those driving larger vehicles) complain about the cost to plug in the different heating devices. But I don't really notice much of an increase in hydro cost. Pays to run a smaller engine I guess!

I have at 12 foot length of heavy duty extension cord attached to the front of my car so I can plug In at work or where I can. The cord connects to a timer at my house....usually every 2-3 hrs. If you chose a timer make sure you buy one that doesn't shut the power flow off if the power goes out and comes back on. Fortunately power outages in the north a short. I would also recommend something that I stupidly chose not to install....remote starter. For obvious reasons...before you head out to work in the AM. But also, if your work place doesn't have an outlet to plug in you're gonna need to start your car once throughout the day...just to warm things up a bit.

A neighbour of mine uses a trickle for her CRV and she's happy with it. Continuously charging the battery, slowly, to keep the power up during the cold weather.

I hope some of this is helpful. Terribly sorry for making this first post of mine so long winded!

S.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X 4AT
157 Posts
Great, thanks folks! Who knew a little cold could cause such a fuss...

So you have a block heater, a battery blanket AND an oil pan heater? This means 3 plugs coming out of the front of your car?

·
Registered
2013 2.5XT Touring Automatic 4 Speed Sportshift
7 Posts
FYI, the link seems to be dead. Has this article been posted elsewhere? I'm on the fence about adding a block heater to my new Forester.

·
Space For Rent
2011 Forester 4EAT
537 Posts
FYI, the link seems to be dead. Has this article been posted elsewhere? I'm on the fence about adding a block heater to my new Forester.
Not sure where you live, I'm like some here who has a block heater, battery blanket and a command start. I use the block heater at work when it' cold, if it gets below -30, I plug in the battery blanket as well. The benefit of a command start for me is if I'm somewhere where I can't plug in and it's -30 or worse, I can set the command start to fire up and run for 15 minutes once it senses the temperature below whatever I set it for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.