Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester TE
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an unusual issue, and some will say 'minor' but it's an issue that is really annoying to me.

I have an '09 Forester (N/A Auto), and the cruise control is calibrated in MPH although it's a Canadian car. When the cruise is set, pressing the + button once, increases the car speed by 1 mph, and the - button reduces it by 1 MPH.

This is exactly what I would expect from a US car in the US, but to have the + button increase speed by 1.609 km/hour is a real PITA.

Of course the service manager had no clue, and didn't even know that 1 press = 1 mph (or 1.609 km/hour in my case).

Any idea if there is a software flash that can fix this? or am I stuck doing a conversion in my head every time the speed limit changes. (10 km/hour change = 6.2 button clicks, 20km = 12.4 clicks etc)

Thanks
Jonathan.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
can't you just accelerate or decelerate to the new setpoint? Holding either button down will allow you to set the speed yourself, too.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
wow I never knew one click was 1mph, I'm going to have to check this. My only annoyance with the cruise is every time I try to set it at say 80mph it always seems to stay at 77mph and never right on 80.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
your speedometer isn't accurate enough for that to be an issue if you ask me. Because of the error built into it from the factory, you might as well just assume it's a 2km/h increase... why are you trying to adjust the cruise by that much though, I find it easier to reset the cruise to a different speed than trying to find the right speed using the +/- functions.

·
Road Warrior
2005 Outback Wagon 2.5i
409 Posts
I have had two different 99 Foresters now with cruise control. The manual states one bump of the stalk should be a -/+ 1 mph change in the set speed.....But on both mine it has been a 2 mph change in reality.

I have learned to live with that.

Bob

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
From the manual:
When the difference between the actual
vehicle speed and the set speed is less
than 4 mph (6.8 km/h), the set speed can
be increased 1 mph (1.6 km/h) each time
by pressing the “RES/ACC” button quickly.
! To increase the speed (by accelerator
pedal)
1. Depress the accelerator pedal to
accelerate the vehicle to the desired
speed.
2. Push the “SET/COAST” button once.
Now the desired speed is set and the
vehicle will keep running at that speed
without depressing the accelerator pedal.
NOTE
If the difference between the actual
vehicle speed when the button is
pushed and the speed last time you
set is less than 4 mph (6.8 km/h), the
vehicle speed will be lowered by 1 mph
(1.6 km/h). This occurs because the
cruise control system unit regards this
operation as that intended to decrease
the vehicle speed.

I learned something today. I didn't think it did that. Actually, 2 mph (for us USAers) would be better. What good is one mph?? But yours is wrong, none the less. Just hit the button once or twice. It's not a swiss watch. The speed varies al lthe time anyhow due to hills, etc.

·
Registered
09 Forester TE
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To answer a couple of posts, I can of course just alter my speed using the accelerator and then set the cruise, however on a long drive I use the cruise +/_ rather than the accelerator as the buttons are right under my thumb, also once it's set, I keep track of my speed by number of button clicks +/_ and never have to take my eyes off the road to look at the speedo - unless it's a downhill where the car will pick up speed.

A minor issue I agree, but it would be good to have it in km/hour.

Other than that, no issues (except the PS pump noise as per previous post), 48K km on the odometer and an average of 8.7 L / 100km.

Jonathan.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
your speedometer isn't accurate enough for that to be an issue if you ask me....
I agree, take a in car GPS or a passenger(to look at GPS for you) and a hand held GPS and set it so you can watch the speed MPH or KPH, KPH is more accurate due to its smaller units.

Find a decent stretch of highway where you can hold a steady speed and see the difference between to speedometer and the GPS. In most cases Subaru speedos read about 6-12KPH(4-8MPH) fast at 104KPH(65MPH) with stock size tires.

In my case, mine was reading about 6-6.5KPH(4MPH) fast at 104KPH(65MPH) or about a 6% positive error. Putting 225/60-16 tires in place of the 215/60-16 helped correct the speed difference by about 2KPH(~1.2MPH). Then by reading the speedo using the trailing side of the needle and the right side of the tick marks on the gauge I have my rough correction.

What all that means, unless you have had the speedo calibrated worrying about the cruise control being 1MPH(1.6KPH) per click is pointless. Either way that 1mph(1.6KPH) per click will get you within 1.6KPH of the posted speed limit on the low side any way.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Here's an unusual issue, and some will say 'minor' but it's an issue that is really annoying to me.

I have an '09 Forester (N/A Auto), and the cruise control is calibrated in MPH although it's a Canadian car. When the cruise is set, pressing the + button once, increases the car speed by 1 mph, and the - button reduces it by 1 MPH.

This is exactly what I would expect from a US car in the US, but to have the + button increase speed by 1.609 km/hour is a real PITA.

Of course the service manager had no clue, and didn't even know that 1 press = 1 mph (or 1.609 km/hour in my case).

Any idea if there is a software flash that can fix this? or am I stuck doing a conversion in my head every time the speed limit changes. (10 km/hour change = 6.2 button clicks, 20km = 12.4 clicks etc)

Thanks
Jonathan.
Strange because Australian Foresters are in km/h and do change by 1 km/h for every press of the button. In fact that is what every car I've driven here is set up to do and some like my brother's Volvo XC90 are far more accurate at doing it than my Foz is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts