1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poll indicates 9 out of 10 Americans have favourable view of Canada
By Lee-Anne Goodman (CP) – 1 day ago
WASHINGTON — Their sports columnists may be eviscerating our Winter Games, their congressional representatives may still not see the harm in "Buy American," and most of them likely don't know Ottawa from Moose Jaw.
But nonetheless, Americans love us.
Canada is once again on top in Gallup's annual country ratings list, with 90 per cent of Americans viewing their northern neighbour favourably.
Britain is right behind Canada at 87 per cent, while Iran is at the bottom of the list with only 10 per cent of U.S. citizens feeling the love.
"What's not to like about Canada?" Lydia Saad, a senior editor at Gallup, said Friday.
"The two countries that always appear at the top are Canada and Great Britain. Those seem to be two largely English-speaking allies that Americans feel a real kinship to, and of course there are a lot of historical connections that bind them."
A longtime observer of Canada-U.S. relations says the rave reviews are likely due to Americans viewing Canadians as - well - similar to Americans.
"A lot of people in the United States have met people from Canada," David Biette, director of the Canadian Institute at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, said Friday.
"Canadians are respectful and nice when they travel here, they don't have an accent except for when they say 'about,' they look like Americans, they eat the same food as Americans, and so they feel familiar to Americans."
Canadians may not be flattered by that, Biette added, but indeed it's a form of high praise coming from Americans.
"When Americans say: 'Oh, you're just like us' to Canadians, that's a compliment. It's meant in a kind way, even if Canadians might not take it that way."

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,904 Posts
From a Washington Post story about an alleged Israeli assassination team whose operation in Dubai was reconstructed through ubiquitous security cameras and they were shown to have used apparently forged British passports.

A similarly embarrassing episode for Israel occurred in 1997. A group of Israeli agents pretending to be Canadian tourists in Amman, Jordan, attempted to use a modified camera to spray an exotic poison into the ear of Khaled Meshaal, a rising figure in Hamas's exiled political leadership.

The untraceable poison was supposed to lead to paralysis and rapid death. But two of the assassins were chased down on the street and ended up in a Jordanian police cell, where a Canadian diplomat quickly figured out they weren't his countrymen because they couldn't sing "O Canada."​

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,904 Posts
And on a different note, when we lived in Maryland my wife and I often went to a series of travel presentations at Constitution Hall, sponsored by the National Geographic Society. One time the subject was Canada, and by extreme coincidence this took place within a day or so after it had been revealed that the Canadian embassy in Tehran had sheltered some American diplomats during the hostage crisis of the late 70s, and they had just been successfully rescued and spirited out of the country.

Before the presentation began it was announced that the Canadian Ambassador (or perhaps Consul) was in attendance. Standing ovation!

Thanks, Canada!

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
340 Posts
^LMAO!!!!

I really liked out time in Canada! I could see living there. The people seem alot nicer than here in the states.
Overall, we're a pretty nice bunch. After living in both countries, I can safely say though, Canadians think a little differently.

....of course I was living in NC.......

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring (CDN) CVT
121 Posts
ya, tell me about it...

Me - Life long Leafs fan
Fiancee - Life long Habs fan

At least we don't meet in the playoffs that often... *grumble grumble*

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,904 Posts
We missed something right up in the first line of the Original Post.
"Poll indicates 9 out of 10 Americans have favourable view of Canada."​
After thinking about it for a while I realized that it's dead wrong. Hardly any Americans have a favourable view of Canadians. Close to a big fat zero.

Time for a new poll. "How many Americans have a favorable view of Canadians! I'd bet that the answer is 9 out of 10! That's how I'd vote.
:icon_wink:

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring (CDN) CVT
121 Posts
I would truly be honoured to see how that poll goes... will definitely be interesting to see how the colours of the bars progress..

Then again, I might not be surprised if one of the bars showed a negative... you know, the one the same shade as a tomatoe (Yep, still have the Dan Quayle jokes going)

B.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
A similarly embarrassing episode for Israel occurred in 1997. A group of Israeli agents pretending to be Canadian tourists in Amman, Jordan,."​
I recall that very well, that was back when Canada had purely a peacekeeping role. We as a country were p'dd off because at that time you could travel safely (nearly) anywhere by showing a Canadian passport which was very well respected , it compromised the safety of all Canadians travelling abroad to have it known assasins were using our passports to infiltrate arab countries.

On a related note, in the 80's the Mossad is suspected to have assassinated a Canadian citizen ( I believe here in Ottawa). He was an expert gun maker, specifically taking existing artillery and modifying it to greatly increase the range. Typical to Canadian form, our government ignored his expertise so he went to work for South Africa (apartheid era) and did wonders for their field guns. Next he was hired by Saddam Hussein who put him to work on a Super Gun, one capable of firing hundreds of miles. The word is, Israel had its agents kill this guy here in Canada as they feared he would build Saddam a gun capable of hitting targets in Israel (and no doubt he'd have used it).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts