Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Subaru Foresters. Thus, I thought it would be worth it to invest in a scanner, so I can figure out the problem when the check engine light comes on without bring it into the mechanic every time. Can some recommend a good scanner? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,872 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

I have a shop grade scanner & I find the Scangauge II is what I use most. It's a bit more expensive than a low cost scan tool, but it does so much more. I see you're not in the States, so if you do decide on a Scangauge II, make sure it will work on your Forester! :wink:

As to other scanners, try a forum search "code scanner" or "scan tool", with the quotes. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
For years I have used the following. It attaches to a laptop. When necessary I can plot any sensor and determine if they are going bad ( slow response ) and look at freeze frame data. I bought it back in 2000 and have used it many times since. But it is OBDII ONLY. Anytime I need to 'Dig in' to find the problem, it has never let me down.

OBDII Diagnostic ScanTools and code-readers

Now 3 years ago, I bought a small scanner which is not much more than a code reader, but it works on OBDII AND CAN bus. I keep it in the back of the Forester and have used it more than I would imagine, especially when someone tells me their 'Check Engine Light' is on. No freeze frame data, pending or Stored codes. Only the current codes that are turning on the light.

U480 CAN BUS OBDII OBD2 EOBD Trouble Code Reader Scanne

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
I use an Actron scanner similar to this one.

Works great and very affordable. Tells you what the code means along with the code itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts