Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester auto
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some threads where x mode was used up a hill ..i thought x mode was for hill descent control only...

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lim CVT
282 Posts
I could be wrong on this, but as far as I know, xmode is made for hill climb. While it will also work on descent, one of the big reasons to use it is due to the better traction. It only works up to like 21 mph if I remember correctly, so if you are trying to go fast up a large hill, it would not work, but how often would that be?

·
Registered
2014 XT HT-CVT
34 Posts
It is for both, and general low speed, low grip situations. For downhill x-mode applies a hill decent VDC mode that will apply the ABS to maintain your selected (by initial decent speed when beginning the down-slope) speed. On even or up-slope terrain x-mode moderates the throttle response, maintains "low" gear, and does crawl, a bit, but not as you would find in other crawl modes in say a Jeep or Rover.
For example, my road/driveway includes a steep decent, with two quick turns at the bottom. When the road is icy, or snow covered, I use x-mode to control my decent speed, allowing me to focus on steering, no need for braking or throttle, assuming I began my decent at the right speed. When going back up the hill, I use x-mode, with the VDC off, to have sufficient torque, and traction, to begin my ascent after the 90 deg turn at the bottom of the hill.
In my experience it is highly effective and a very good feature for those who intend on doing some moderate off-roading.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
The the VDC button have any effect when X-mode is enabled? I would expect the X-mode button to take precedence as it is primarily a function of the VDC.

Anyways, X-mode is useful for hill climbing as it adds more power bias to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
2014 forester 2.0 xt cvt
46 Posts
Hi about the xmode i understand it can "crawl" down hill without depressing brakes or accelerator, but can it do that when going up hill? Crawling up hill without stepping accelerator? Like maybe low speed cruise control?

·
Registered
323 Posts
No it wont overcome the resistance of the vehicles weight going up a hill, it won't apply throttle. It will however prevent roll back. Try parking on a hill in drive and letting go!

It's really just an aggressive ABS modulated traction control.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
One thing that xmode does for up (and down) is change the throttle response so it wont charge from stop. It provides very nice control over ascent. Use it when climbing forest roads and confirm its uphill usefullness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts