Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SF5 S Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd move this story from the New Member Introductions:

I'd had my Forester, a nice, clean, low mileage 1999 S Turbo, for just 27 days when it was rear-ended whilst we waited to turn left on to the main road. The girl driving the other car had not taken account of the icy conditions and slid at about 20mph in to my car.

The damage left my car needing a rear bumper assembly, tailgate, rear panel and a bit of boot floor straightening, so I new it would be close...

...Today it was confirmed by the insurance company engineer that the car will be written off.

The options are:
That I accept a settlement offer from the insurance company.
That I might find another repair shop that will do the same job cheaper, for the insurance company to pay. I think it unlikely that any garage will differ that much. (The one repair estimate so far is from the garage appointed by the ins co)
That I take the car as salvage from the insurance company and get it repaired myself. This way, I could find a used bumper and tailgate. The car would be recorded as Category C write-off, so this idea is not so attractive either.

Ideas and advice welcome...

Andy
1999 S Turbo
1992 Legacy Turbo

·
Registered
1999 SF5 S Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you're right. Most of these independent bodyshops seem to have disappeared, the business taken by bigger companies allied to the insurance companies.

I'll have a chat with a good friend who does restoration work. Trouble is, he take rather a long time even to start these jobs.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
I can't speak to how things are done in the UK, but here...an insurance company estimate is almost always going to be tough to beat by a repair shop. We write pretty tight...that's our job, after all. So the actual repair cost will be at least that much if not more. Remember, these are 'estimates' and it's frequently not possible to catch all the damage on the first go-round.

These are not rare cars...I'd take the settlement provided it's reasonable and source a replacement. I think you're preparing yourself for a world of expense and disappointment by trying to get it fixed yourself.

·
Registered
1999 SF5 S Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am sure things work in much the same way here and the way things are organised means there is not much fat to be trimmed, and I know; finding a tailgate, in the matching colour preferably, a nice bumper, and then finding more things as the car comes apart... It's a can of worms just waiting to be opened.

Once, I kept an Alfa 75 3.0 V6 after it was written off from being whacked in the back, sure that I would sell many of the parts and use others. It was two years before I bought a similar car and it, of course, needed none of these parts. The engine and many other parts still sit in my garage.

Just not looking forward to beginning the search again after the last one had barely finished.

Andy

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,801 Posts
Everything but the boot floor should be a pretty easy repair/replace. That one could be structural or have a lasting effect on alignment. I'd agree with those who say to get another set of eyes to take a look at it.

·
Registered
1999 SF5 S Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update

I have decided to let it go; I need a car more than I want a project. I've managed to negotiate a very fair settlement - more than I paid - and, with some chasing around, that should be enough to find a suitable replacement.

If anyone in the UK has a nice SF Turbo or early XT to sell, please message me.

I'll get the '92 Legacy Turbo back on the road until then, once the crap hire car goes back.

Thanks to all for your input.

Andy

·
Registered
1999 SF5 S Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow up.

I settled with the insurer; after some very civilised negotiation, the gentleman at More Than (Sun Royal Alliance) offered £3200 which, after just 27 days of ownership, left me several hundred up.

He agreed it - the one shown in my avatar - was a very nice example and upped the offer to the average of several ads I sent him.

I'd still rather have had the car pre-accident, but don't think I was badly treated at all.

Unfortunately, SRA does not cover grey imports and, as I couldn't jump ship before settlement and I was snowed in in the 2wd hire car, a nice replacement passed by.

The search is on for its successor, manual only, either SF - S Turbo, SG - XT, or a very nice import.

Andy
'99 S Turbo (Deceased)
'92 Legacy Turbo

·
Registered
1999 SF5 S Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Vinnyd.

I just 'found' it at the salvage yard. I'd post the link but need to up my post count first, which is hard when I don't hae a foz to write about...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts