Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per title, I will be going abroad and was wondering if the headlights of a '06 FSTI can be adjusted to point to the RHS of the road in order not to disturb oncoming cars. I know you can put stickers on them but I prefer to have them adjusted properly if I can.
How easy is it to do and where is the adjuster (if it can be done)?

Cheers.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
No, the Forester has Z-pattern headlights so the only way to correct it is via a blank (to H pattern) or a deflecter, that or change the headlights for LHD ones!

Simon

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the Forester has Z-pattern headlights so the only way to correct it is via a blank (to H pattern) or a deflecter, that or change the headlights for LHD ones!

Simon
What do you mean by Z-pattern headlights?
Does this mean there is no degree of adjustability at all? :confused:
Or is the beam only adjustable up/down rather than left/right?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
if you are planning on taking your car to Europe and it is going to be there permanantly you need to swap the headlight units for the same ones that are on a LHD forester. - it wont pass its annual test (MOT equivilant) otherwise

if it is just a temporary stay in europe you can use beam deflectors. - they dont make your lights point toward the kerb side, they just prevent on comming traffic from being dazzled by your lights

Im in France right now. my van has been parked next to the police station in St Malo for the past 4 days, swarming with coppers and nobody has said anything about not having beam deflectors. but plenty of comments have been made about the steering wheel been on the WRONG side, and about a dozen policemen have asked what the red poppy on the front means!!!

I keep a set of deflectors in the Van just in case i get caught - then just pleed ignorance if i get caught without them!!

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
If you want LHD lights a good place to start would be German Ebay, or if you can get hold of a copy of the 6th sense. its a british / german newspaper. Soldiers sell headlights on when they leave Germany or buy a "Tax free car" - (Tax free cars come with 2 sets of headlights LHD + RHD). its common practice to advertise your unwanted LHD lights in the 6th sense!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Z pattern lights are where the top cut off for the dip is horizontal across the other side of the road and then angle up from the straight ahead point moving left so they illuminate the kerb/verge, H pattern have a totally horizontal cutoff.

The beam is adjustable up/down and left and right obviuolsy, but you can't point it down enough to compensate for the Z cutoff's bit poitning further up the verge!

Simon

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Z pattern lights are where the top cut off for the dip is horizontal across the other side of the road and then angle up from the straight ahead point moving left so they illuminate the kerb/verge, H pattern have a totally horizontal cutoff.

The beam is adjustable up/down and left and right obviuolsy, but you can't point it down enough to compensate for the Z cutoff's bit poitning further up the verge!

Simon
Thanks for the explanation :)
I will try to have them adjusted as much as possible and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTen Manual
43 Posts
Chaps.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a diagram showing where to blank off the headlights for European roads?
I'm trying to figure out where the gaffer tape should go.....

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
You'd be better off with something like Eurolites beam deflectors TBH. Available from Halfords etc and cost about a fiver IIRC.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Paraffin usually does the trick.

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Or find some OEM headlamp protector covers as these have the area marked where to blank.

I may have a spare set in shed.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTen Manual
43 Posts
Thanks for your replies chaps,
Ben if you could post a pic that'd be awesome.
Beam benders are no different from any other sticky tape, all they do is blank out a sector of the lense to stop light being projected to that area.
Cheers
Dave

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Eurolites don't just blank off the headlights, they have prisms in them that alter the angle of the light so that it is directed to the right rather than the left.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Thanks for your replies chaps,
Ben if you could post a pic that'd be awesome.
Beam benders are no different from any other sticky tape, all they do is blank out a sector of the lense to stop light being projected to that area.
Cheers
Dave
Eurolites don't just blank off the headlights, they have prisms in them that alter the angle of the light so that it is directed to the right rather than the left.

Travel Spot - Eurolites Headlamp Beam Adaptors - Fitting Instructions

1 - 16 of 16 Posts