Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0X AWP
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'd like to ask for some advice please. I have a 2005 Forester NA Auto UK model. After researching the forum I finally mustered the courage to replace sparkplugs, reset the ECU, replace air filter element, and clean MAF sensor with electricalcontact cleaner. The sparkplug I fitted is the BKR6E-11 since this was the recommended copper plug I read. However, this had a shorter thread area than the ones previously installed, the ILFR6B. Was I not supposed to do this? The car attempts to stall when I start to run it in Reverse-like its losing power but when I press the gas harder it suddenly 'lurches'/leaps. On Drive it seems okay though.
I'm now worried that this might break the engine...

It took me 3 hours(first time) to do this as the ignition coil-on-plug was a bit tricky to take off and put back on.
Thanks for any advice...Will gladly repeat plug change just to sort it out.

Cheers!
Marc

·
Registered
MY04 Fozzy 6spd
1,265 Posts
I am not 100% on the type of plug NGK is..but i bet you are using a short plug versus a long reach plug. Go get a set of IKH20's from DENSO.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,890 Posts
I've been using BKR6EIX-11 in my US spec NA Forester. The I stands for Iridium, which wouldn't make any difference in size, but the X stands for Extended. While this might not be the right plug for your UK spec Forester, I do suspect that the lack of X in your nomenclature could be your problem.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0X AWP
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been using BKR6EIX-11 in my US spec NA Forester. The I stands for Iridium, which wouldn't make any difference in size, but the X stands for Extended. While this might not be the right plug for your UK spec Forester, I do suspect that the lack of X in your nomenclature could be your problem.
Could be. What's a bit surprising is that I got the plugs based on the NGK UK website partfinder result!

I measeured the thread on the plug taken out-26.5mm The thread on the new ones I put it is stated as 19mm. Has this caused the mild hesitation being experienced?

Thanks for the advice...further advice needed, I'm a total Foz noob!

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,890 Posts
I just went to NGK's site and found out that I was wrong in my belief about the X. I'm very sorry for providing misleading information.

It's the E that denotes "Thread reach," and E does mean 19mm. They show nothing of greater reach in their nomenclature chart. The X is just there for show, as part of the IX nomenclature for "High performance iridium."

Here's the entire chart. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/partnumberkey.pdf

Again, I'm sorry I responded from an incorrect recollection rather than with hard facts.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0X AWP
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem! Thanks all for your opinion.
I got it sorted. I went to the motor factors again and asked for the 'proper' replacement sparkplugs and they still gave me the BKRE6-11. Its the type that comes up for the 2005 NA 2.0 Uk Forester. HOWEVER, I had in my pocket the old plug-ILFR6B and showed it to them. They asked me if I replaced my engine with a newer one as the ILFR6B only went into the 2006 model. A bit confusd myself but when I checked the owners manual, it did say ILFR6B. Iguess NGK-UK need to update their database. I had the pleasure of re-doing the sparkplug change just 12 hours after changing into 'wrong' plugs. This time I finished in 1.5 hours since the bolts on the coil-on-plugs and air filter box have been treated with anti-seize, and I bought a mini-stubby ratchet that made taking plugs out a joy!
Lessons I've learned from this:
1. Get the right parts
2. Get the right tools
3. Do everything properly-anti-seize, clean up along you go, don't rush
4. Always refer to this forum :)

Thanks again for all the help and sorry for the long post,

my car runs really smooth now!

Cheers!
Marc

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,890 Posts
Thanks for the followup. Good news! Why don't you post a brief summary over on the Europe Forum so that other folks in the same situation might learn about this.

I know about catalogs that aren't quite right. EBC brakes shows the wrong rear pads for my 2003, but all came out OK in the end as the ones I bought fit my wife's Impreza.

I'm now leaning toward thinking that X in the IX code means Extended Tip. I knew I didn't just pull the word Exdtended out of the air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts