Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am putting a brand new exhaust on my 1998 Forester and think that the original is what I am taking off. So being as I live in MN the heat shields are rusty and if I get them off the old exhaust I am certain they are destined for the junkyard. So can I wrap my new exhaust from the headers back to the rear cat and call it good? I would like to hear anyone's (with a few exceptions) opions on how to go about this and what parts and products they would recomend. Thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,866 Posts
Funny you should ask about heat wrap. I just pulled some off of my '03 today. I had the engine steam cleaned while it was in for service & they blasted off some of the wrap. I was going to rewrap it, but decided to remove it completely. :smile:

If your exhaust pipe is steel, the heat wrap will trap the moisture against the pipe when it's wet & you know what's going to happen. The custom exhaust on my '03 is stainless, so that wasn't an issue. You might be just as well off running without the heat shield or the heat wrap. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Wouldn't recommend wrapping OEM exhaust parts, especially in the rust belt...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts