Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a strange occurance/coincidence today with my 04' Forrester... I put an empty diesel can in the back to pick up some desiel while running errands. I had one stop to make first and it was warm outside, so diesel fumes built up in the closed car while I was at the first stop. I aired the car out, but when I started it, the "Check Engine" light came on :surprise:

The manual indicates that a steady check engine light is associated with an emissions system error. Is it possible that the two things are related? Could a sensor have confused the desiel fume build up with an emissions problem?

That would seem really strange to me... but the coincidence is really stunning...

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Had a strange occurance/coincidence today with my 04' Forrester... I put an empty diesel can in the back to pick up some desiel while running errands. I had one stop to make first and it was warm outside, so diesel fumes built up in the closed car while I was at the first stop. I aired the car out, but when I started it, the "Check Engine" light came on :surprise:

The manual indicates that a steady check engine light is associated with an emissions system error. Is it possible that the two things are related? Could a sensor have confused the desiel fume build up with an emissions problem?

That would seem really strange to me... but the coincidence is really stunning...
It is a stunning coincidence, but just a coincidence. The warm weather may have done something to the pressure in your gas tank. What CEL code were you getting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all,

Just a quick follow-up. I don't have a code reader (yet) so I don't know what code it was throwing. It was a warm day by our standards here in NW Washington for May - lower 70's... and the tank had not been filled recently. The CEL cleared itself after a couple of days of driving. Seems like a pretty strange coincidence... I'm half-way tempted to repeat the situation just out of curiosity :)

Still, I think I'll avoid having hydrocarbon fumes build up in the passenger compartment from now on... even when parked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts