Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 FORESTER
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 automatic Forester and am interested in buying a popup camper that weights 1400 empty. Can the Subaru tow this without damaging the transmission?

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
I believe your max to weight is about 2,000lbs. The biggest thing for you will be adding a transmission cooler. How much does the popup weigh with all the furniture and your gear in it?

·
Registered
2002 FORESTER
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1400 is with furniture - don't know how much our gear would weigh- clothes, food, water, etc

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT STi'd
2,118 Posts
Absolutely will!

I'll see if I can post some pics from home of our rig.

I tow a 93 Jayco Jay with our 98 S.

2 things.

One: If a AT I would strongly recommend a transmission cooler and quality oil.

Two: Brakes, even at "only" 1400 lbs I would strongly recommend trailer brakes and possibly a brake upgrade on the Forester (if you have 16in wheels the brakes from a WRX are cheap and a direct bolt on)

Another option to look at is the Scamp Scamp Travel Trailers: Small Lightweight Campers, Easily Towable
Awesome trailers and they seem to hold their value quite well (I have seen 10 year old units selling for 3/4 the value of a new one!)

-Ben

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
I have a 2002 automatic Forester and am interested in buying a popup camper that weights 1400 empty. Can the Subaru tow this without damaging the transmission?
We have an 01 automatic Forester and pull a PU thats a bit heaver than that all the time.. And we live in the highcountry pulling 5 or 6 mile grades running from 6 to 11 percent.. and often in temps over 100 f.. We have had 0 problems.. However we do change the oil in the trans as called for ect.. I see no reason why you should have any problems.. We also do not have trailer brakes.. The Foresters we have stop it fine.. Just put about 40 lbs air in the rear tires and 35 in the front when you pull.. Gets rid of the sway..

We also pull it with our 09 Forester..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
speaking of oil, make sure your differential oil is good! had a friend with a dakota pull two bikes on a trailer out to the east coast and back. he ruined his rear diff cause he didn't change the fluid before he left. Be sure to keep up to date on regular maintenance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts