Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The usual climate control problems mentioned on this forum don't bother me too much because I prefer not to use CC. It came standard on my particular model (`04 FXT). Instead, I leave CC off. I turn on AirCon manually as needed and it also comes on automatically if I press either Defrost button.

My Concerns

1. With CC set to Off and the position selector NOT on Defrost, the AC will occasionally turn itself on while I'm driving. Shouldn't AC stay off when CC is off? This is obviously wasting fuel and is becoming quite an annoyance.

2. In Manual mode with the temp selector about midway, the air blowing from the vents will be warm as soon as the engine warms up (which on the Forester, is pretty quick). However, after 15-20 mins of driving, the air will be much cooler, as though the system is in Auto mode and it has reached the desired temp. Shouldn't the temp be constant (once the engine has warmed up) if CC is off?

3. If I select Defrost, then turn off AC, is the AC compressor shut off? I would prefer to use either of the Defrost settings in winter but don't want to waste fuel by using the AC.

So, can Climate Control really be turned off? I would expect these things to happen only in Auto mode. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I am considering mounting my Digicam to the middle storage bin and recording it. The thing appears to be possessed!

I thought I would post here before taking it to the dealership in case someone has experienced this before or.... tells me this is normal!

Thanks,

Corey in Vancouver, Canada

·
Registered
98 Posts
As far as I can tell, you can turn off the functions of the CC that control fan speed and outlet duct choice, but unless you set the temp knob to max or min, the system will continue to modulate the air temp to maintain your pre- set temp. This means that the air conditioner may cycle on and off and that the air comming out of the ducts will vary in temperature as the system tries to meet or hold your temp setting.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
It's all part of the same problem. The only real question about the AC/CC/HVAC system, either manual or automatic, is "How many Xs are there in the word 'suxxxxxxxx.'"
:barfs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Retserof, If what you are saying is true then I have to agree with bbottomley: The Forester's climate control system "suxxxxxxxx." I am actually hoping there is something wrong with my car so I can get it fixed. I would much prefer a regular manual system to this one.

My previous car was a Honda CR-V and the Subaru is better in almost every way with one major exception: Climate Control. The Forester's system is a big step backwords.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
CoreyXT said:
1. With CC set to Off and the position selector NOT on Defrost, the AC will occasionally turn itself on while I'm driving. Shouldn't AC stay off when CC is off? This is obviously wasting fuel and is becoming quite an annoyance.
When I see it spontaneously turn the A/C light on, I press the A/C button once to turn it off again, and it doesn't come on again until I next press Auto.

The thing about the automatic CC on these cars is that overriding, say, the fan speed will turn out the "auto" light and put the fan speed in manual mode, but the other functions are still in automatic mode. Only way is to get it fully manual is to manually adjust each of the settings once. Having done that it should remember it, at least until you use the Auto or Defrost button next. But the heat is always thermostatically controlled, it seems, in a somewhat all-or-nothing way (though it doesn't bother me).

-- Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. I'll have to try your method, sahunt. I've read here about people installing fans/sensors to overcome some of the problems with the Auto CC. It's frustrating to think that this is necessary in a $37000 CDN (that's about what I paid) car. If so many people have complained, why hasn't this problem been addressed by Subaru?

BTW, is your Forester really a 2.0 XT? I didn't realize the UK version would be different than the NA model. I assume yours has the same 2.0 T found in the pre-2006 WRX? I'm curious what the difference in fuel economy would be compared to the 2.5 T?

·
Registered
2006 Forester
30 Posts
On my 06, it only shuts off totally if it is set to off, and the recirc is on. If it's set to off and the recirc is off, it will still blow a small amount of air.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
CoreyXT said:
I
BTW, is your Forester really a 2.0 XT? I didn't realize the UK version would be different than the NA model. I assume yours has the same 2.0 T found in the pre-2006 WRX? I'm curious what the difference in fuel economy would be compared to the 2.5 T?
Yes it is a 2.0. Up till 2005 all the Foresters in UK were 2.0, either turbo or non turbo. They added the 2.5XT in MY2005 and dropped the 2.0XT in MY2006, but oddly enough the non-turbo version is still a 2.0. So now the model lineup goes from pretty slow to very fast with nothing in between.

I had the option of a 2.5XT when I bought mine (used) but they were overpriced due to scarcity. Subaru UK's own figures said the 2.5 would be 3-4mpg (imperial) worse combined consumption. That and cheaper insurance made me favour the smaller engine. Performance is down of course; on paper the 2.0XT automatic is about 1 second slower 0-60 than the 2.5XT auto. (Oddly enough the 2.0XT manual seems more like 2s slower than the 2.5XT manual. Some difference in gearing maybe. Does the 2.5XT manual reach 60 in 2nd gear?)

-- Steve

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
I am not sure about the official Subaru numbers 0-100.

I am as yet not willing to push a 0-100 time in my MY06 XT 2.5 auto but if Subaru say it takes 7.6 seconds they must have a slow watch.

I need to rely on those that can post actual official track times but I think the XT auto here is faster than 7.6 seconds.

Happy to be proven wrong

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Candy said:
I am not sure about the official Subaru numbers 0-100.

I am as yet not willing to push a 0-100 time in my MY06 XT 2.5 auto but if Subaru say it takes 7.6 seconds they must have a slow watch.
You mean a fast watch (sorry to be a pedant!)

Don't forget the speedos over-read - the needle on mine shows about 65mph at a true 60 (checked with GPS).

-- Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts