Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been informed that this diff is a Prodrive unit. Just trying to verify what it is. Right now it is setup for 70% lock. I want to know if I can rearange the clutch plates to bring down the level of friction or just simply use a friction modifier.

Here are some pics:

The side shot of the output shaft tells me, from what I can gathe,r that it is a Quaife but Quaifes are sealed helical units.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
It is, without a doubt, not a quaife unit.

The casting marks on the top are confusing. I wasn't aware that Prodrive made their own diff, including shell, but I suppose it's possible.

Both the KAAZ and Cusco are completely machined, so it's neither of them.

I wonder if it isn't an older STi diff. It strikes me as odd that it doesn't have a cam pin that's visible from the outside. How do you know it's set up for 70% lock? It might not be possible to adjust the lockup of the plates. You could pull it out, unbolt the crown bolts (which look shockingly OEM. That's how the OEM VLSD is held together), and pull the diff apart. You should be able to tell directly how to change things around, or if you can at all.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy who gave it me told me all that I know. It definitely has a high level of lock. When it was fitted I tried to do a U turn on my street and I felt the the rear wheels hopping and skipping as the car turned on a tight radius.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts