Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm starting to think about adding a rear bumper guard after getting rear-ended in the snow a few weeks ago and miraculously making it out with pretty much no damage. I know it wouldn't help for a high-velocity impact, but I'm hoping to not test my luck again in general.

My question from there is, does anyone know if it is possible to install both a guard and a hitch receiver? Or does one preclude the other?

This is an example of a double-pipe guard I am considering the Broadfeet WAAG Double-Pipe Rear Bumper Guard.

And I'd consider a Draw-Tite Class III for a receiver.

Any help or input is appreciated, if you have any other suggestions for how to go about this, I'm all for hearing it!

·
Registered
2018 Forester
19 Posts
I have installed a Curt Class III hitch receiver (similar to the Draw-Tite) and I don't think it would be an issue.

I looked online at the "Broadfeet WAAG Double-Pipe Rear Bumper Guard" and I am even more sure it would not be an issue.

If you go to the etrailer site you can see some photos of class three hitches installed.

IF the Bumper guard does not going significantly lower than the bumper, you will be fine.

Take a look at some photos here: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Subaru/Forester/2018/76182.html?vehicleid=201863860

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
651 Posts
Don't they make a thing that just sits inside the hitch that acts like a big rubber bumper guard?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
518 Posts
Yep, Many. I can't get a link from Amazon to work. Search Amazon for: Bumper Guard Hitch Step.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have installed a Curt Class III hitch receiver (similar to the Draw-Tite) and I don't think it would be an issue.

I looked online at the "Broadfeet WAAG Double-Pipe Rear Bumper Guard" and I am even more sure it would not be an issue.

If you go to the etrailer site you can see some photos of class three hitches installed.

IF the Bumper guard does not going significantly lower than the bumper, you will be fine.

Take a look at some photos here:
Thanks Bucky and everyone else. Yes I'm aware of the rubber guards that slot into the hitch, but in this case I'm more interested in having the independent guard attached to the frame, and having an available hitch for use with a bike rack, cargo rack etc. and therefore wanted to ask if anyone had done this before or if something outside of what can be seen in pictures makes it impossible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts