Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll be rebuilding my EJ251 SOHC this summer in the Outback. Thinking about doing a Delta regrind (whatever their mild grind is, recommendations) as well as knife-edging the intake port dividers.

My question is, I already have intake and exhaust mods. Would some sort of piggyback EMS be required? With stock CR and no EMS, would I still be able to run 87 or 89 octane without issues?

Just wondering... :biggrin:

TIA

EDIT: Another thing I'm pondering... would I do better to just skip the cams and go with intake manifold spacers instead? I spend 98% of my time between 1500 and 4000RPM. Very rarely do I hit 5500, let alone redline.

Would my driving style be suited to a different cam? I'm new to internal mods on these engines. :confused:

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumpity... no love for meh? :lol:

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
No , you will not need an ECU reflash or piggy-back. Your engine is basically breathing better and the ECU can still compensate. You are not over the limiting factors of the ECU.

As for the re-grinds, I wouldn't bother. If you aren't lapping or revving the engine, it isn't worth it. Just do a TB spacer.

I have knife edged my intake dividers on the heads. You should also match port your intake manifold with your heads. I did and I saw a big difference at higher speeds. Better response in 5th gear.

I would also go for UEL header. It really increases low-end torque for everyday driving. Especially that you don't red-line your engine.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No , you will not need an ECU reflash or piggy-back. Your engine is basically breathing better and the ECU can still compensate. You are not over the limiting factors of the ECU.

As for the re-grinds, I wouldn't bother. If you aren't lapping or revving the engine, it isn't worth it. Just do a TB spacer.

I have knife edged my intake dividers on the heads. You should also match port your intake manifold with your heads. I did and I saw a big difference at higher speeds. Better response in 5th gear.

I would also go for UEL header. It really increases low-end torque for everyday driving. Especially that you don't red-line your engine.
Thanks huck.... that was the answer I was looking for! Not sure whether I was want to go with the GrimmSpeed phenolic manifold spacers or the group A throttle-body spacer. I think the combination of the two would mess with my air-box clearance. Even the throttle-body spacer alone would be close.

Is match-porting the intake manifold something the machine shop could do? Sounds like something easy for me to screw up. :lol: Gimme a small block Chevy and a dremel, and I'll go to town... but this aluminum stuff kinda scares me.

I already have the UEL header, as well as a 2.25" stainless catback. I must say, the added torque was definitely noticeable.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Thanks huck.... that was the answer I was looking for! Not sure whether I was want to go with the GrimmSpeed phenolic manifold spacers or the group A throttle-body spacer. I think the combination of the two would mess with my air-box clearance. Even the throttle-body spacer alone would be close.

Is match-porting the intake manifold something the machine shop could do? Sounds like something easy for me to screw up. :lol: Gimme a small block Chevy and a dremel, and I'll go to town... but this aluminum stuff kinda scares me.

I already have the UEL header, as well as a 2.25" stainless catback. I must say, the added torque was definitely noticeable.
If you can do a small block Chevy you can do a Suby :icon_wink: A carbide burr with a Dremel and some WD-40 will do the trick. Then you blend using a sanding drum on the Dremel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts