Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great, sunny, cool weather this weekend here in Florida!! It's been so lousy lately....rainy mostly, that we thought the weather would be too hot by the time the winter storms ended. Highs in the 60s and lows in the high 30s. Perfect for that campfire and a hike in the woods. No snakes or mosquitos.

We'll be doing some trail riding and adventuring all over the Withlacoochee State Forest.

Will take videos and photos. Hoping for a little off-roading, but mainly we just love to drive in the woods.

Whoopeeee!!!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring (CDN) CVT
123 Posts
I really hope it stays nice weather there... I am flying out to Orlando for a week's vacation with my fiance and some of our families! Go Disney!

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
I know! The weather here this weekend should be awesome. I am very excited and we have similar plans... probably head to Paynes Prairie instead though.

Withlacoochie sounds good too though. Great fishing to be had near the mouth of the river this time of year.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know! The weather here this weekend should be awesome. I am very excited and we have similar plans... probably head to Paynes Prairie instead though.

Withlacoochie sounds good too though. Great fishing to be had near the mouth of the river this time of year.
I really hope it stays nice weather there... I am flying out to Orlando for a week's vacation with my fiance and some of our families! Go Disney!
Came back home a day early as I was totally satisfied! I got my camping fix!

pointer, you should have some great weather! Hit 68F today on my way home. But it will be COLD at night!! My bro told me he got up at 4:30am to take a leak and it was 22F inside his VW Camper!! Fri nite it was 27F at 6am.

Dabiker68, I've camped at Paynes Prarie a few times. Cool little State Park near Gainesville. Actually a State Preservation area and it was hard to find firewood. So we just bought our $5 worth and took it easy.

Downloading photos and videos to Flickr right now. Will post some a bit later (slow router).

Rick

PS; where do you guys live?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
I'm glad to hear it as well, we are also going to Orlando over spring break. My inlaws have been down in FL for quite some time (snow birds from MI) and they have been saying how cold it's been. We were getting worried.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Peaty...we are on a warming trend here in Fla-dee-dah. We had the coolest winter in eons, but it seems to be over. Back to normal temps in the 70s.

Compared to most of the country it's warm. But for us it's been C O L D !!! Water temps will be in the 50s, however. It the Keys it'll be a bit warmer.

Setting up our campsite. Got the tent pitched and a pile of wood.

This is the old phosphate mine. The pilings were for the ore track rails. It was abandoned in 1914 at the start of WWI.

On a hiking trail around the mine. Tim takes in a view.

I know this is Florida but it's nice to get some 3-D places to hike.

Takes about 1 or 2 hours to circle the mine. There are Bass, Perch, and other fish. Perfect weather today!

Tim leads the way over a narrow area. Hiking at night adds mystery.

I slipped on the pine needles twice going up this trail, so I went around.

Johnny checks out some birds with his binocs on the lower trail

A quick rest. Johnny (my bro), Pete, Tim

Paul and Joan brought their Westfalia. They still got cold....it hit 22F that night.

Campfire that night was great! Thanks, Pete, for bringing all that wood!

Now I'll try to see how to upload videos of driving the Subie at night.

Rick

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driving the trails at night

Johnny was the DD and I took the videos. Nothing extreme. We love driving at night.

MVI_1552 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Couldn't figure out how to put the video on this page, only the link. Anybody know how?

Anyway, we're "World Ralley" drivers now :)crazy:)

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few more relaxing moments

Packed to the gills. I had a new tent, new Thermorest, and a new cot. Had to test them out, you know. The cot was a 'roll-a-cot' and pretty cool. Bought from Campmor.

Funny, but I got up in the middle of the 22F night to take a wizz and sat down on the end of the cot and it sprung up like a see-saw and flung my sleeping gear all over the tent floor. Had to laugh at how stupid that move was.

I'm up first and get the coffee going. The very thought of coffee can get me out of bed.

Unloading the Subie. It's Friday about 6pm and gotta get the tent set up right away. That tape on the windshield was where the rubber seal popped out awhile back. Need to get it fixed!

Red Coleman is a rechargeable. It lasted 2 nights but was dead Sunday. Didn't charge it from the car as a test. Very handy and no batteries or gas to refill it.

Well, that's enough for tonight. Not exciting stuff but we just wanted to chill and hike that weekend.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Been doing some camping here, and we're lucky if the high's hit 50! :lol:

And btw, the story of you sitting on the edge of your cot: HYSTERICAL!!!

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Been doing some camping here, and we're lucky if the high's hit 50! :lol:

And btw, the story of you sitting on the edge of your cot: HYSTERICAL!!!
I forgot what cold weather really was! Love to camp in the snow again like we did in New York back in the 60's. You probably have all the gear to stay comfortable, Smash. We don't have snow shovels, though.

I do have an ice scraper!

I treasure the cool weather since summer can last for 9 months here in Florida. Or longer. This has been an unusual season of cold. But hit 82F today, and I'm afraid the cold weather is over. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Haha yeah we stay comfy. However I will say that at this point I prefer my 4 season 3 person tent (stuff with 2 people and 2 big dogs) in the winter than my 'burb. Much warmer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts