Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a camper trailer with a tare weight of 880kg and a GVM of 1500kg. It has 10inch electric brakes but I am yet to have the contoller fitted. It has a standard Subaru tow bar and ball mount. Could anyone suggest what I may need to do to improve my towing such as heavy duty shocks or adjustable ball mount? Is a weight distribution hitch necessary? Thanks. I am a newby and would very much appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Get rid of the ball and get a swivel hitch such as a Trigg or a Treg - better articulation, quieter with less "bump" feel and so much more secure in the rough. Easy to connect too. Talk to anyone who does towing where it's a bit rough and they don't use balls. You have the XS so you have the self levelling struts and with 90 kg of download they will be more than adequate assuming you have about 10% of the trailer weight over the drawbar. You'll need the 50mm hitch if you want to use a levelling set up but perhaps that's what you have. Most are only the 40mm hitch though and should be limited to only 75 kg at the drawbar. It's easy to check though.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have an ORAC hitch. Would it be worthwhile to get heavy duty rear springs? Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
I wouldn't make any changes until I had tried the present set up. My camper trailer weighs only 450 kg with around 46 kg on the drawbar and doesn't have brakes and I wouldn't waste money doing any changes. It performs really well how it is. I have towed 1300 kg with an unknown amount on the drawbar and it was still adequate so I can only go by that. Try it first. Those rear struts really do their job. Like all things though, what one person finds great doesn't always suit the next.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts