Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been quite a few posts on here recently about camber adjustments so I thought I would post up my crude but effective camber gauge.

Basically it is a wooden board with two srews in the edge(arrowed) the same spacing as the wheel rim. Then a piece of fishing line is hung from a screw at the top and weighted at the bottom. Place the screws in the edge against a wall you know to be vertical and mark the line position at the bottom of the board. According to my calcs 7mm either side of zero is one degree. Now position the car on a level surface, place the gauge against the wheel rim and take a reading.Obviously not deadly accurate but I have used it on a number of vehicles and the tyre wear has been spot on afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Max

Attachments

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
I like home made solutions !

This is what I use: A (verified) flat board with a $50 digital level (purchased at your local hardware store) attached to it. Nice big digital numbers with a hold feature so its easy to get the correct reading. The board is large enough to sit flat on the wheel but small enough not to be offset by the tire. I have access to $700 race team quality camber gauges and have A/B comparitely taken measurements. The difference in readings are about 0.2 degrees which is easily acceptable. Depending on how you mount your camber gauge you can easily be off by 0.5 degrees on your readings.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

. The board is large enough to sit flat on the wheel but small enough not to be offset by the tire.

That's why I used two screws, to space the board away from the tyre and hub center. Also make the gauge useable on different wheel diameters by moving the spacing. Love the gauge, puts my piece of string to shame. :biggrin:

Max

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts

This is what I use: A (verified) flat board with a $50 digital level (purchased at your local hardware store) attached to it. Nice big digital numbers with a hold feature so its easy to get the correct reading. The board is large enough to sit flat on the wheel but small enough not to be offset by the tire. I have access to $700 race team quality camber gauges and have A/B comparitely taken measurements. The difference in readings are about 0.2 degrees which is easily acceptable. Depending on how you mount your camber gauge you can easily be off by 0.5 degrees on your readings.

Lol I do something similar, but for the ipod touch there are a few very very good angle/level gauges (as long as you calibrate them), so I use that up against a board. However, I've only used it to check the alignment.

How do you usually adjust the camber? Check the angle and then lift up that corner and pull the wheel off?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
How do you usually adjust the camber? Check the angle and then lift up that corner and pull the wheel off?

When I swap over suspension I start by maxing out the camber bolts eveny on both sides, there's not a whole lotta adjustment there to begin with. Then I put the wheels on and adjust the camber plates up top which is a ton easier. Since the camber plates are mounted to the coilovers they keep their setting and if I ahve to adjust its only a little bit. You can adjust the camber bolts with wheels on but you'll need a surface that the wheel can slide on otherwise the tire will flex rather than move and you won't get an accuate reading.

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
There have been quite a few posts on here recently about camber adjustments so I thought I would post up my crude but effective camber gauge.

Basically it is a wooden board with two srews in the edge(arrowed) the same spacing as the wheel rim. Then a piece of fishing line is hung from a screw at the top and weighted at the bottom. Place the screws in the edge against a wall you know to be vertical and mark the line position at the bottom of the board. According to my calcs 7mm either side of zero is one degree. Now position the car on a level surface, place the gauge against the wheel rim and take a reading.Obviously not deadly accurate but I have used it on a number of vehicles and the tyre wear has been spot on afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Max
That takes me back a few years! I used to have a Jensen-Healey and the camber on one of the front wheels was out (I think some previous owner had a prang). The suspension came from a Vauxhall Magnum and wasn't adjustable, so I took the top ball joint out, welded up the holes in the wishbone and drilled new ones. Problem solved. :biggrin:

To work out where to put the holes I made a gauge just like yours, although mine used a piece of aluminium plate the correct length to contact the wheel rim.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have about got it with standard suspension. Check the angle and then lift up that corner and pull the wheel off, adjust, wheel back on, reverse 10ft, drive back to the same position, bounce the suspension, check the angle,------and do it all over again.

Max.

PS don't forget if you do alter the camber you then have to reset the tracking.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
This is the order in which you do it

- Install suspension components
- Adjust camber to desired setting
- Set Thrust angle
- Set Toe
- Test drive

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
You have about got it with standard suspension. Check the angle and then lift up that corner and pull the wheel off, adjust, wheel back on, reverse 10ft, drive back to the same position, bounce the suspension, check the angle,------and do it all over again.

Max.

PS don't forget if you do alter the camber you then have to reset the tracking.
...this is why I have someone else do it - I hand the car over, have a cup of tea, read a magazine or two, debate about buying the set of rims they have on special offer at the moment, decide against it and then read another magazine until they tell me it's all done :biggrin:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
PS I do like the DIY camber gauge though ;o)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts