Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impreza Auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I take the Subaru Impreza (2005 GX automatic) for a service recently and I receive a call from the mechanic saying the throtle body needs dismantling and cleaning to which I say sure. I pick the car up and drive home no problems. The next day the Mrs takes the car for a drive and informs me it is driving like a donkey. Get home from work and confirm the diagnosis. Return car the next day to the mechanics with a please explain. Assures me he will solve problem. Pick the car up that afternoon, mechanic says, "No problems I've changed the spark plugs" (which were only 6 months old) ,take car for an extensive drive and feel satisfied. Now, drove car today and have the same problems which are:
Changes hard into 2nd
Lags from 2nd to 3rd
Sometimes fails to engage to 4th and continues to rev out
When coasting around 55 kmh car surges
Excessive engine braking when coasting, sometimes signaficantly
Now, the problem is, the car had none of these symptoms before the service. I've dealt with this mechanic regularly for about 5 years and have had no problems. My question is, even though these problems sound transmission orientated is it possible the throttle body adjustment could be the cause? Just so you know transmisssion fluid levels are fine. Would love to hear your input and any suggestions before I return the car on Tuesday.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,023 Posts
Last thing worked on is usually the first thing to look at.

Welcome to the board. Hopefully you will get better answers.

Consider listing your approximate location in your information. It can help with respect to dealers mechanics in your area and also there are talented members who could always help in some cases.

Consider introducing yourself in the "New Members" area

·
Registered
04 XTI 4EAT-6MT
293 Posts
Not sure about the impreza but sounds like a vaccum line. I'd be looking for one that is split or has been knocked off. I'm sure others will jump in that can tell you more specificallly what to look for or that I'm off base on this particular car.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
completely possible and likely that it is related to the throttle body work.

If you have access to a scan tool I would look and see if there are any pending codes.

As mentioned a vaccum leak would be highly suspect.

A ECU reset/disconnecting the battery may mask the symptoms for a short time until the drive cycle is completed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.