Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm approaching 100k on my 14XT and it's been running really well and have been happy owning it for these 5 plus years.

I'm curious to hear from anyone else who has high mileage 14-18 XT's. How many miles are you at and how has your reliability been? Thanks!

Near 100k-
Warranty covered:
O2 sensor
Knock Sensor
Both rear wheel bearings (Replaced at different times)

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There's something very funny about checking to see how many people found your thread interesting enough to reply but to find out no one did hahaha. Well anyway, I just had a great road trip in a little snow and it still amazes me how effortless i can get through some harsh conditions.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
214 Posts
just replaced a lower control arm bushing on the driver's side
replaced tires at 40k and 70k

hearing some clicking when turning, but the noise is not in a consistent location
also, feeling some vibration on freeway, so I'm thinking it's related to a CV joint going bad somewhere, or a bushing wearing out

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
4 Posts
14 FXT - 139K miles

Repairs in the last year.

New CVT under warranty.
New front Axles
Clock Spring in the steering wheel
New Starter

Other than the CVT its been an amazing car.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just replaced a lower control arm bushing on the driver's side
replaced tires at 40k and 70k

hearing some clicking when turning, but the noise is not in a consistent location
also, feeling some vibration on freeway, so I'm thinking it's related to a CV joint going bad somewhere, or a bushing wearing out
As of today this literally happened for the first time for me. I was turning left from a stop and I noticed a clicking noise. I'm not sure if it's just because it's super cold but it went away after the car warmed up.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
14 FXT - 139K miles

Repairs in the last year.

New CVT under warranty.
New front Axles
Clock Spring in the steering wheel
New Starter

Other than the CVT its been an amazing car.
That's a decent amount of miles. Out of curiosity, how many miles did the CVT have when it was replaced? I had the Subaru change the cvt fluid at 75k. I was driving more back then and i think that was about 2 years ago. So far so good thankfully.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
359 Posts
I have a 2014 Subaru Forester XT with 74,000+ miles and it is running perfectly.

My wife has a 2016 Subaru Forester XT with 50,000+ miles and it is runningly perfectly.

No major problems from either car.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,130 Posts
I'm only at 66k miles so far, with no mechanical warranty issues.

The only problems we had were covered in the first couple of years via ECM updates.

The only thing that bothers me, is that the vehicle was more powerful when we first got it, and easily got 28 MPG on the highway. Now, it seems to consume a lot more fuel; I have to baby the FXT to get 25MPG, even in the summer now. Note: I flashed to Cobb Stage 1 and mileage hasn't changed.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm only at 66k miles so far, with no mechanical warranty issues.

The only problems we had were covered in the first couple of years via ECM updates.

The only thing that bothers me, is that the vehicle was more powerful when we first got it, and easily got 28 MPG on the highway. Now, it seems to consume a lot more fuel; I have to baby the FXT to get 25MPG, even in the summer now. Note: I flashed to Cobb Stage 1 and mileage hasn't changed.
Same here with the Gas mileage. After the last ECM update which was done after the leakdown test performed in the pre-ignition recall, I noticed a drop. I used to avg about 23-24 with mixed driving and could easily hit 28-29 mpg on the hwy. I know avg about 21 in the city and 25-26 hwy max.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,609 Posts
I have 98k on my 2015 XTP. I had CVT work done at 20k and just recently had the lines into and out of turbo replaced both were leaking oil. I was going to replace my XTP but after having two 2019 Forester loaners I realized how much I really enjoy driving it.

I plan on replacing the spark plugs, differential and brake fluid this spring along with the springs in my coil overs and steel braided brake lines. In addition check the hoses and belts. Not sure on the CVT fluid since I did not see any recommendation to replace it just inspect it. I might have to check the bushings. I figure I might as well spend a couple of thousand to keep it going since it is paid off.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I figure I might as well spend a couple of thousand to keep it going since it is paid off.
I've had several new cars in a row. It's funny how your perspective changes when you pay off your loan or buy used.

I've done all maintenance on our '14 FXTT, except replace the CVT fluid. I plan on having the dealer do that some time soon. I'd typically do something like this myself, but I'd rather have them on the hook completely through the 100kmi warranty.

//

I'm also getting older, so the desire to waste money on a similar Subie (to my '15 Legacy) or replace my FXTT with a much slower Subie don't appeal to me much any more.

My hope is that the 2.4DIT is installed in many more Subies over the next couple of years, so that, by the time I'm ready to buy used again, they'll have been out for a while and proven as good or risky.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,609 Posts
I've had several new cars in a row. It's funny how your perspective changes when you pay off your loan or buy used.

I'm also getting older, so the desire to waste money on a similar Subie (to my '15 Legacy) or replace my FXTT with a much slower Subie don't appeal to me much any more.
I brought my XTP new for $26,800 in 2014 15MY. When I was looking for something with AWD and cargo room nothing appealed me not even the NA Forester. That was when I decided to get the XTP.

Since then I installed OEM fog lights, rear view dimming mirror with homelink, dimming side view views, OEM window visors, OEM rear seat protector, RokBlokz mudflaps, EBay STI lip, BC Racing coil overs, lower control arms rear, DRL lights, toe arms, heavy duty rear sway bar, Whiteline rear endlinks, Weathertech liners, and so on. I am sure I left something off.

I really do not want something under powered or spend a fortune to get something similar in performance. The other issue is size my Forester is just right. I looked at the 3.6R Outback seems to have some deep discounts. But even with around the same power as the XT I got a feeling that power is more for a smooth ride than performance. The only option is the CX-5 2.5T.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
22 Posts
2014 2.5L Premium 6sp manual

Approaching 140000 miles
- new engine at 75K miles due to the oil consumption thing
- whistling throw-out bearing replaced at 115K miles. Changed clutch at same time
- new front left and right CVT joints at 125K miles. They started clanking about 10K miles prior to that

With the right tires (Michelin Defender) this thing eats up snow. We've been getting hit hard this year after a few years of nothing.

ColoradoZ28

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 72k miles in my '14 6 speed. Bought it used 3k miles ago. The dealer records show just regular maintenance. And the clutch was replaced right before I bought the car. She drives great and has no issues. Been keeping an eye on the oil and I just replaced it the other day from what ever the dealer put in it to Amsoil Signature oil and filter like I do all my other vehicles and equipment. And in those 3k miles it hasn't consumed one drop of oil. Both my previous 2013 Accent and my wifes 2012 accent consume a quart or more between 3000-5000k miles.....So for now I think I'm safe from that issue.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm approaching 100k on my 14XT and it's been running really well and have been happy owning it for these 5 plus years.

I'm curious to hear from anyone else who has high mileage 14-18 XT's. How many miles are you at and how has your reliability been? Thanks!

Near 100k-
Warranty covered:
O2 sensor
Knock Sensor
Both rear wheel bearings (Replaced at different times)
Add belt tensioner to the mix. A few months back I replaced the Serpentine belt and it started squealing again on acceleration. Apparently when they replaced the tensioner they said the old one was falling apart. So if you're near a 100k maybe keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,503 Posts
I
My hope is that the 2.4DIT is installed in many more Subies over the next couple of years, so that, by the time I'm ready to buy used again, they'll have been out for a while and proven as good or risky.
the 2.4 is just a bored out 2.0. How bad can it be? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
the 2.4 is just a bored out 2.0. How bad can it be? ;)
Let's see how those ringlands fair.

I'm actually excited about the Legacy/Outback XT. I want to keep my '15 Legacy for as long as possible, but would love to upgrade to the LXT/OBXT in 4-5 years, when ALL of the bugs are worked out :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.