Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

CAI Intake... now Check engine light?

11K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  sa_lontoc 
G
#1 ·
Put on a home built intake last weekend. Today I got a steady check engine light on the way to work. Any reason why they would be related?

I did a quick visual and everything appeared ok. Also unhooked the battery to see if that would re-set the cel. If the cel is still on tomorrow I will cruise by Autozone to have them pull the code.

Thoughts?

G
#3 ·
ScoobyDoobie said:
What year forester is this? If its a 98-99' it could have something to do with the MAF. Maybe if you could take a picture of your intake/engine bay, people could be more of assistance.

Will take a pic and post this weekend. Car is a 2002 L with 5spd. I think the intake looks kinda cool and "feels" better on the butt dyno. Hope its not the problem.

Thanks,

Joel

#4 ·
CAI's have been known to throw off the MAF an cause a CE light. Depending on the brand and such, they can freak it out the MAF by changing how the air flows past it to a point it will not be able to accuratly give the ECU information.

A more common reason though is a hose that was connected somewhere on the OEM intake fell off or the MAF became unplugged (if it's MAF based) ;)

#6 ·
i thought 2002 were not MAF based, or maybe that was the year that it was split. i made a custom CAI for my friends 2002 impreza rs and it was not maf so i assume the forester would be the same.
could be some of the vacuum hoses came disconected like peaty said.
how long did you reset the ecu for, it sounds like it may be an unrelated problem if no maf equipped
ps. nice intake you built there

#8 ·
The '02 should be MAP based. I believe they switched from MAF to MAP when the went from the DOHC to the SOHC on the N/A's...but I could be wrong. MY00Forest, is yours MAP or MAF? My 01's MAP.

If Peaty's suggestions don't work, I would ask how many miles are on it? Could be a coincidence and that possibly an 02 sensor is throwing that CEL.

#9 ·
mine is map, 2000-2002 is the same, then they started using IAT sensors on 2003-2004 and up i believe. and 98 and 99 have some funny stuff too, they might be maf if i'm not mistaken

#14 ·
the best idea is to run an intake just like what is done above. since there is a filter already on it then you can remove the one from the stock air box.
here is what i did for my diy

it was quick and easy, cost less than $20. and i left the stock air filter

#16 ·
the end peices (black parts) are very flexible rubber. there is plenty of movement, it is just sitting at the edge of the fender wheel also. no noises, no banging etc as of yet. and have had it on for about a year now

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.