Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased my first Forester about a month ago (2000 S) and the cabin heater/cooler has been a bit of a pain in the ***. The first issue is that with the heat on full blast, it doesn't actually start expelling hot air unless the car is going with the windows up (even after letting the car warm up and what not in colder temps). For example I can turn the car on and get moving and if I decide to have a cig once I get in (with the windows down) the car won't start giving heat off until the windows have been up for a few minutes. After that it works fine. The second problem I'm having with the heater/cooler is that I cannot change the temperature. Periodically the change will take and the temperature will be stuck in that position until it decides to work again, so I've just left it on full heat being that winter's basically upon us. I also notice the backlight for the temperature control (left side of the unit) isn't working either. Anybody know what the cause of this problem is? Do I need a new control unit? Could it be a poor connection? Any help is appreciated, it's driving me nuts only being able to use full heat. Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Forester
75 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined, you can take apart your center console and pull out your HVAC control unit. In the back, there should be white tubes that house cables inside them. Your temperature and recirculation switches depend on these tube/cables. The cable tension only adjust the appropriate blend doors in your HVAC if the plastic tubes are held in place. Subaru uses C-clips (usually found on metal rods etc.) to hold the plastic tubes in place. If a clip made its way out (gremlins, eager head unit installers), you will not be able to adjust hot/cold or recirculation modes reliably. I lost a clip during a radio install and figured nothing would happen. A hot summer later, I pulled it back apart and got a replacement clip from Home Depot. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts