Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 - How do I know if the '03 XS I just bought has the filtration system without taking apart my glovebox?

2 - Is there a cheaper replacement filter than Subaru's?

3 - How often are you replacing them if you got this sytem (the manual suggest annual replacement of the $40 filter)?

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
CSBOMB said:
1 - How do I know if the '03 XS I just bought has the filtration system without taking apart my glovebox?
If there is no sticker right inside the driverside door stating you have one, then you don't.

CSBOMB said:
2 - Is there a cheaper replacement filter than Subaru's?
Sorta...people have reused the subaru filter housing but gone w/ a cheaper 3M washable filter element.

CSBOMB said:
3 - How often are you replacing them if you got this sytem (the manual suggest annual replacement of the $40 filter)?
There are many variables to how dirty they will get but usually going w/ the suggested 9-12 month duration is best.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
1 - look for the yellow sticker in the drivers side door jamb.
2 - nope, but you can fab your own. Take bbottomley's advice ;)
3 - I've never replaced mine and I've got 60k miles on the clock. I take it out about once a year and hose it down with a garden hose. Seems to be working fine so far.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
pleiad7 said:
3 - I've never replaced mine and I've got 60k miles on the clock. I take it out about once a year and hose it down with a garden hose. Seems to be working fine so far.
Might have to try that one...are you sure that isn't degrading the filter?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
sirwilliam said:
Might have to try that one...are you sure that isn't degrading the filter?
Dunno, the material seems pretty sturdy. You can wash it with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Ltd Tech CVT
515 Posts
Sorry for digging up a 6 year old thread, but it seemed the best way...

I've got a 2003 XS that doesn't have a filtration system. I removed the glove box per the manual, and everything looked the same except that there was no actual filter inside.

Is the "Air filtration system" simply the filter? Will purchasing one from my dealer (or eBay, etc) be a plug and play upgrade? The P/N I found was G3010SA100.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,739 Posts
No need to apologize for digging up an old thread. We like to keep related info together.

Yes, it's plug & play on the 2003-08 "SG" series. Buy a filter and slide it in. The earlier years did require a one-time mod to accommodate the filter.

By now Foresters have been discovered by the aftermarket people, and fully acceptable filters are available at half price or better, compared to the exorbitant Subaru ones. Search around here for "cabin filter" to find specific recommendations.

·
Registered
515 Posts
No need to apologize for digging up an old thread. We like to keep related info together.

Yes, it's plug & play on the 2003-08 "SG" series. Buy a filter and slide it in. The earlier years did require a one-time mod to accommodate the filter.

By now Foresters have been discovered by the aftermarket people, and fully acceptable filters are available at half price or better, compared to the exorbitant Subaru ones. Search around here for "cabin filter" to find specific recommendations.
Great, thanks! I wiped a cloth inside the HVAC when I'd opened it to check for a filter.... came out a nasty, dark brown. Definitely ordering a filter.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Simply it will fit, I got the link from another members post that has used them for years.

You could also check Parts Source, they're a spin off of CTC, but when they opened a store locally, they had their branded cabin and air filters on sale for about the same price and I picked up a few of the cabin knowing what Subaru dealers charge. :icon_eek: . :biggrin: Haven't checked recently so I'm not sure what they carry.:shrug:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Simply it will fit, I got the link from another members post that has used them for years.

You could also check Parts Source, they're a spin off of CTC, but when they opened a store locally, they had their branded cabin and air filters on sale for about the same price and I picked up a few of the cabin knowing what Subaru dealers charge. :icon_eek: . :biggrin: Haven't checked recently so I'm not sure what they carry.:shrug:
Thanks again. I'll stop at Parts Source and see what they have.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,732 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Shipping is about $10 to me, but it's the same to ship 1 or 3, so if they'll work well the shipping becomes pretty affordable over a couple units.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I ordered two from Logical Source. I'll update when I've tested them out. Worked out to $15 USD each - way better than $50 at the dealer.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Order arrived from Logical Source, packaged in the ridiculous foam peanuts. Unsure why, they aren't really breakable.

Anyway, the new filters seem pretty cheap/thin, so I'm curious if they actually filter anything. I don't have a Subaru filter to compare with, so that may be standard.
They fit pretty well, from the looks of it. Air flow after install seemed similar to before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts