2008 Forester X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently there isn't a 2008 X CAbin Air Filter. I just took off the glove box and just saw a circular thing with bolts in it, plugs, and a little tiny looking filter aiming upward that was dark gray. Was that it? Or don't 2008 X's have one.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
there is a flat cover on the front face of the round fan housing that unsnaps and tilts up (while gently pushing to the left).

the gray thing that looks like a filter is one of the 2 air recirculation flappers.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is a flat cover on the front face of the round fan housing that unsnaps and tilts up (while gently pushing to the left).

the gray thing that looks like a filter is one of the 2 air recirculation flappers.
On the front of that round fan? Okay, I'll go take it off and look again.

Any recommendations on which filter to buy (cheaper the better)?

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
It's a flat rectangular cover on front. I can't remember exactly how it looks with the cover on and off. it is possible someone removed and lost the cover (door)?! I believe the tabs are on top of the door and plastic snap latches on the bottom.

My 2004X did not have a filter and I added it using one of the ones from ebay and it seems to be working well.

edit: my friend has a 2008 with something over 45,000 miles and his was pretty icky looking. it has somewhat to do with whether you park near trees that drop things and if you drive any gravel roads or not; that kinda thing.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonderful, thanks guys for the help. I found it and am ordering the filter now.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... our Forester (2008) we could use some extra filtration. IT's never had a cabin air filter installed to my knowlege. Could we install one on a regular ole' Forster 2008 X? Is it hard to do, do they really help rid the cabin air of 'stuff'?
The 2008 Owners Manual p. 4-12 indicates not all Foresters have a cabin filter. My 2008 LLBean with automatic climate control does, as indicated by a warning sticker on the right end of the dash (have to open the door to see it).

I suspect that all Foresters share the same airbox behind the glove compartment, with the slot for the filter, whether it is filled or not. The manual climate control might not come with the cabin filter.

To access the filter, here are some instructions:
Subaru Air Filtration System

You have to remove a lot of screws holding the glove compartment in - some at the top, sides, bottom, and inside. And there are two pop off fasteners on the left side of the dash. The filter slot has two clasps to release the door, then the filter slides out. It does not take long to change, but is awkward and uncomfortable to do.

The interval is a year or 7500 miles, as I recall. I drive on clean paved roads only, so I waited for 3 years and 20,000 miles. The filter was only slightly dirty, a little gray with a few bits of leaves, so I replaced it, but vacuumed and saved it for reuse.

The OEM filter is about $40, which I bought, but you can buy cheaper ones online. The one in the link on eBay looks right.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,065 Posts
The 2008 Owners Manual p. 4-12 indicates not all Foresters have a cabin filter. My 2008 LLBean with automatic climate control does, as indicated by a warning sticker on the right end of the dash (have to open the door to see it).
I can't be sure, but I suspect that this means that not all have the filter installed. It's been that way throughout the SG (2003-08) series, varying by year and model level. But AFAIK all have the appropriate plumbing that will accommodate the filter.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... I suspect that all Foresters share the same airbox behind the glove compartment, with the slot for the filter, whether it is filled or not. The manual climate control might not come with the cabin filter. ...
... I suspect that this means that not all have the filter installed... AFAIK all have the appropriate plumbing that will accommodate the filter.
I think the same. But I wonder what criteria Subaru used for providing or not providing the filter.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,065 Posts
I think the same. But I wonder what criteria Subaru used for providing or not providing the filter.
It's one of those mysteries. I've got a 2003 XS Premium which was up around the top of the line, and it had no filter. So I bought one at the dealer's outrageous price as that's all there was available at the time, and since then I've been refilling its frame with furnace filter material.

The aftermarket people caught up with us a few years later at a much more reasonable price, but I've still got a couple of years worth of furnace filter left.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I believe in 08, all foresters had the cabin filter installed (maybe even as early as 06?). I don't think any 03-05 had them installed at the factory, and were all dealer added.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Might have been 05.. not sure.. for sure the XS did, but not sure about the X.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,799 Posts
Our '03 X came with a cabin filter installed. I just looked at the dealership window sticker. It's shown as an "Air Filtration Kit" & added $71 to the cost of the Forester. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
Our '03 X came with a cabin filter installed. I just looked at the dealership window sticker. It's shown as an "Air Filtration Kit" & added $71 to the cost of the Forester.
The OEM filter element alone retails for under $40 today. The $71 sticker price of the 2003 filter "kit" makes me think the 2003 ductwork had to be modified by adding the slot to accept a filter.

I think all the 2006-on Foresters came with this slot, either with or without filter. But unless a Forester has the filter warning sticker on the left end of the dashboard like mine, I would not buy a filter until I removed the glove box and verified that the filter slot is there.

My cheap 2006 Scion xB came with a cabin filter. However, my wife's loaded 2003 Buick LeSabre Limited bought used in 2005 does not have a cabin filter. Like with the 2003 Forester, it was an option, consisting of an airbox kit plus filter. It is now priced at $200 for parts alone. Needless to say, she saw no need to add it.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Ltd Auto
67 Posts
1999 S

Confused to where the cabin air filter is, can someone point out its location on the pic. Thx

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,065 Posts
According to this post by Peaty, the SF models did have an optional cabin filter, but to install one from scratch required a full kit, and you had to cut out a premarked section of duct to install it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts