Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new filter from Subiegal and I find that I cannot locate the change procedure in my Subaru manual on CD.
Anyone have the procedure to hand or, at least, advise where it is on the CD?

Thank you

Phil C
05 FXS LLBean "El Coche Frijol"
 

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
Joined
·
3,319 Posts
It's in the Owners Manual under the Climate Control Section. MY04 has it on pg. 4-18
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooops...thank you for your insights...and a tip!!!

Well,
Of course, I opened the Subaru filter box and "voila'" the instructions are inside in about 394 languages. The job is really a piece of cake...:D

The recommended change interval is 12mos or 7500 miles with our Beanie being a year old in February. The original filter in the car with 9700 miles on it was black as coal and had lots of bugs in it....Yuk!

NOTE:
All the screws have the same head, look the same length/type EXCEPT one!
This smaller screw with a flat end goes on the bottom RH side of the glove box. DAMHIK!!!
 

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
Joined
·
18,839 Posts
It's amazing how much crud gets trapped in that filter. However, the Subaru price (>$30) is a real ripoff. I bought a Filtrete Ultra Allergen furnace filter at Lowes for about $15 that contains enough material to cut up into 6 refills of the frame of the OEM filter. All it takes is heavy duty scissors and a bit of duct tape.

Another member at the old site described a similar approach using washable filter material. I can't recall where it originally came from.
 

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
Joined
·
9,051 Posts
bbottomley said:
Another member at the old site described a similar approach using washable filter material. I can't recall where it originally came from.
That member was SuperRu. You can PM him for any questions unless he already reposted a link that I haven't seen;)
 

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited High Torque CVT
Joined
·
783 Posts
bbottomley said:
It's amazing how much crud gets trapped in that filter. However, the Subaru price (>$30) is a real ripoff. I bought a Filtrete Ultra Allergen furnace filter at Lowes for about $15 that contains enough material to cut up into 6 refills of the frame of the OEM filter. All it takes is heavy duty scissors and a bit of duct tape.

Another member at the old site described a similar approach using washable filter material. I can't recall where it originally came from.
Wow...I never thought of that! That is a really good idea.

:D

Jackie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
sirwilliam said:
That member was SuperRu. You can PM him for any questions unless he already reposted a link that I haven't seen;)


That link would be worth 30 dollars!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Go out to ScoobyMods.com and do a search under "washable air filter". Just another way of doing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
i tried the washable route, and i thought it was a pita. i didn't do a good job, but it probably works ok. for some sensitive people, it might be really important to have clean air in the cabin, and i'd suggest that the factory unit may be worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Before my FX, never had a car that used a cabin air filter. Okay, you're driving along with the windows down or the mammoth moonroof open ... what's the purpose of the cabin air filter??
 

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
Joined
·
18,839 Posts
Marty said:
what's the purpose of the cabin air filter??
When you look at the crud that's captured in the filter and consider what your lungs might look like if you inhaled even a small portion of that, you'll understand. Used filters are really ugly.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
bbottomley said:
When you look at the crud that's captured in the filter and consider what your lungs might look like if you inhaled even a small portion of that, you'll understand. Used filters are really ugly.

Whoa! I second that. You don't have to look farther than Peaty's pic below to see just how really ugly they can be. I think most anyone who changes one of these for the first time (on any car) won't take so long to do it next time!

:-o
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
With the windows down and the moonroof open you're breathing unfiltered air ... aren't you breathing the crud anyway? Doesn't the filter serve a purpose only if you keep windows/moonroof buttoned up?
 

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
Joined
·
8,052 Posts
Marty said:
Before my FX, never had a car that used a cabin air filter. Okay, you're driving along with the windows down or the mammoth moonroof open ... what's the purpose of the cabin air filter??
The air that goes through the HVAC system into the cabin comes in through the filter. If you have the windows open it's not a big deal but you don't always have them open. Look at that pic I have attached above,that's a lot of crud. That can also clog up the fins in the HVAC system and get moldy and start to stink. That's not to say the filter won't either but the filter is a lot easier to change out then cleaning the fins from being clogged.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
philbytx said:
~~~
The original filter in the car with 9700 miles on it was black as coal and had lots of bugs in it....Yuk!
~~~
Hey, fellow Hill Country resident, I've seen one heck of a lot of those bugs and mucho limestone out around Kerrville, but never COAL? I know our gas prices have skyrocketed recently, but you aren't feeding coal to your Beanie are ya?
 

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
Joined
·
8,052 Posts
one more shot I just edited. Notice the small leaves and other stuff. If a small leaf gets in the squirrel cage (fan) drive you crazy.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top