Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
744 Posts
Yeah, wagons are amazing. So much room, yet just as nimble as the sedans. I'm always going to buy a small suv or wagon going forward.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Pretty sure I wouldn't touch a volvo with a 10 foot pole once geely takes over. The least safe car company on the planet buying the brand most associated with safety. Should be fun times.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Yeah true but I still see the Outback as more of a wagon than a SUV. Technically speaking, the Forester was also a CUV/SUV in the SG gen, but we treated it as a wagon.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
651 Posts
Subaru stopped selling it's wagon in the USA in 2007, the Legacy Wagon. The Impreza is a hatchback, the Outback and Forester are both SUVs.
Per 2010 Consumer Reports Auto Issue (for what it's worth) . . .
"The Outback is a more rugged wagon version of the Legacy. While the body proportions are still wagon-like, the redesigned Outback's ground clearance is comparable to that of an SUV."

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
As far as I see it, Subaru isn't selling a single wagon model in the US anymore either. The Outback, to me, is a true crossover now, not a wagon. The LGT wagon went bye-bye a few years ago, and has Forester has mutated into a cute ute.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
As far as I see it, Subaru isn't selling a single wagon model in the US anymore either. The Outback, to me, is a true crossover now, not a wagon. The LGT wagon went bye-bye a few years ago, and has Forester has mutated into a cute ute.
This.

RIP, Subbie and Volvo wagons... Arch enemies, united to fulfill the same duty.

Yes, we have both... and love them equally! (Well... I'm a little biased... but the Volvo IS a better roadtrip car)

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FWIW, the EPA classifies the Impreza wagon and Outback Sport as "small station wagons". The Legacy wagon used to be classified as a mid-size station wagon.

The Forester, Outback, and Tribeca are each classified as a "Sport Utility Vehicle 4WD". The key discriminator appears to be road clearance, although the "H-point", or hip-point, location relatively high above the road surface (= high front seating position) may also be an important factor.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,786 Posts
I think the problem is sales...

Volvo's total monthly sales have been hovering around 3-4000 cars a month in the US, whereas Forester sales alone are at 6000 per month.

Their bean counters have probably concluded that since wagons make up so few of the sales, they will eliminate them. In my mind, this is flawed logic, kind of like Ford killing hatchback Focus models in the US (they will be back next time around). As gas prices go up, people will inevitably move from sport utes to wagons and hatches for their utility, as they do in Europe. Losing the wagons will kill their growth potential.

But I would never buy a car from a Chinese owned company on a personal level. I send too much money there for just about all the other crap I have to buy, from shoes to computers.

George

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
re: Volvo wagons

Thanks for the link, Crewzer, sad tho it is. Years ago I owned a Volvo 122S wagon. It is the 4th photo in the article, a light yellow wagon with skis on top and listed as a P220 Amazon. In the US it was simply called the 122S. Mine was a 1965, burgundy, 4 on the floor. The 4 cyl engine was mounted north/south and had twin carbs. Rear drive, 15 inch wheels, Blaupunkt crystal set radio. The rear hatch was divided: upper half raised on struts, bottom half lowered to horizontal. I loved that setup: the bottom gate was a great place to sit while taking a break or pulling on fishing boots, etc. The car was 15 yrs old when I bought it and pretty rusty, but it ran great. Not meant for off road use but I did drive it down many a gnarly road in my pursuit of trout. With snows on the rear it did very well in snow. I've always thought Volvo sort of priced itself out of the" common man's" market. When they first came to this country, Volvo's were affordably priced, but in the 70's they began pricing their vehicles towards the luxury end of the market. Tell you what: if Volvo started making the 122S wagon again (w/ modern accoutrements), and priced it more or less like a Forester, they would sell as many as they could make.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts