Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester Manual.
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I suppose with every 'up' there's a few matching 'downs'... Otherwise reinforcing what I've always said about car ownership. Get some extra $$ and they start going "PEEP PEEP" like baby chicks trying to get more food. And Murphy needs to get off my &%&% already!!

Okay, this is more of a rant/whine...

Did the oil change today: 10w30 Full usual Synthetic (thought I grabbed the high mileage one...it's the normal stuff) NAPA Platinum Filter (WIX branded) Even sprung for a new crush washer for the drain plug! First Class all the way!!

And here goes the major downer... I noted while greasing the sway bar fittings... Rot hole in the LF control arm. That nice short section of the arm has about a .50 cent piece size rot hole pointing straight down!!....

So I inspect the other side.. Looks good....Then I tapped it hard with my finger. And it went right up and into the arm in the SAME SPOT?!?

According to the National Highway Traffic baloney page, my Subaru already had the recall done for the rotting out control arm problems. So I'm SOL on trying to have the dealership assist this issue.

And I just priced replacement arms... HOLY &%^!!! About $230ish per arm?!? Gold Plated?

So it looks like I'll drive the Subaru tomorrow for my long trip... And then drive my wifes car around for work (just passed inspection...Got the keys programmed...(we do our own programming)).. But sense it's not been driven for 6 months- I want short trips at first before I take it for the long trips.

So the Subaru's getting 'barn parked' in a few weeks, and I'll have to get creative in trying to locate a set of arms. Nothing is 'buckling' with the current arms so it should be okay for a few more weeks. And then it's off to shell out almost $5 large for parts.

I can't win for losing... Get 1 car back on the road, and this one goes "PEEP PEEP" asking for $$.

S-

·
Administrator
17,244 Posts
Bummer! I believe the arms here are around A$400+ each and include the bushes. My son's Foz needed just the bushes but seems Subaru Australia now sell only the complete arm! :-(

·
Registered
2007 Forester Manual.
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds about like our local auto parts house. I checked the only parts house that carries an aftermarket brand:

$398 per side...

I emailed a few of the local car junk yards that use car-part dot com. They have 'a' grade ones listed for about $55 to $90 bucks each. Seems they know they have 'gold'...

I'll also check with a few pick and pull yards to see if they have any donor cars. I usually enjoy pulling parts myself, as it's a learning time for me to figure out how things come apart and go together (before tearing into my own ride)

For the time being I'll have to drive it a bit more, but it should make a trip or two without problems. (one 120 mile trip...and the 2nd one to my 'work shop' until we get the parts)

Has anyone done this on their 07's before? The shop manual states to 'drop subframe'... Not sure if that's overkill or what?

S-

·
Registered
2007 Forester Manual.
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from the local U-Pull yard.

$64 total.

2 control arms (good condition)
1 cargo cover
Truck/hatch release. (ours is seized up a bit and hard to open)
A/C pressure hose. (ours is weepy at the condenser)
Arm Rest plastic trim where the door locks and windows are. (replacing the cracked one in ours)
1 Alarm "Chirp" module. Rare that I find one that isn't rotted with the pins!
1 extra factory Key Fob. (Found under the car? The dash was already partly in pieces....So it probably got tossed out the door. It's a subaru one however.)

Group Question:

Had a he&& of a time with the ball joint. The old rule "Hit what it goes through" didn't do anything, other then to bend in a small area of the arm next to the ball joint hole about 1/16". Looks fine, dinged up and a bit smoshed but okay. (I'm going to hose the entire arm inside/out with fluid film to prevent rust)

Is there some magic way to extract that ball joint stud from the arm without getting it dinged? I've got pickle forks, but the amount of hammering was a bit much.

To answer expected questions: Planning on R&R the ball joint that's on the car. It's 100% okay, but I doubt it will survive 'extraction' to be re-used. Going to likely do the same for the sway bar links.

Comments suggestions? Just let me know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man I'm running into the same issue with the lower control arms. It's like the 06-08 models don't exist, and nobody sells aftermarket parts for those control arms. You got lucky with the junkyard.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
Why not grab some sg9 STI control arms?

Quite a few on eBay and that should be a nice upgrade over the rust buckets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why not grab some sg9 STI control arms?

Quite a few on eBay and that should be a nice upgrade over the rust buckets.
I would love to!

This is what I'm confused about though-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru...l-Arms-Legacy-Forester-1993-2007/132476419482
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru...minum-Control-Arms-LCA-2003-2008/113410555227

If I went with either of the above links, I would need to replace those bushings. Would the ones I have work? Would the same OEM ball joint fit too? Is fitment exact? :surprise:

EDIT: Forgot to include the OEM parts for the OEM control arms:

2x 20204SA000 (Inner bushing that needs to be pressed in)
20201AC120 (Right bushing/mount)
20201AC130 (Left bushing/mount)

·
Registered
2007 Forester Manual.
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure about the aftermarket ones listed. Others that have done this before I'm sure will add input.

One gentleman here did message me about a possible set he might have for sale. L23Tan was the user name. (Hope I'm not speaking out of turn). I think I got lucky with mine before he had a chance to look for the set he might have in storage....

S-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts