Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While sf.com was off the air, I posted this on mrtrally and got one reply saying that he too got the buzzing noise. He described it as an "angry relay" which sounds about right. But I'd expect a relay to be on or off, not oscillating rapidly. I'd be interested to know what it is caused by, and also any answers to the two questions at the end.

I have a 2005 2.0XT (UK model) which has the direct control AT. With the ignition switched on (but engine not running) there is a sort of metallic buzzing noise in all the selector positions except P and N. The sound comes from under the car, about amidships or maybe a bit further forward. It's quite loud - easily audible from several metres away. It sounds the same in R, D, 3 and 2, but in 1 there is also another higher pitched buzz superimposed on top of the original buzz.

Is this normal? With the engine running it's impossible to say whether the buzzing is still there or not.

Couple more questions about the auto box:

1) How can you tell if the lock-up torque converter is locking?
2) The brochure talked about the box entering a "virtual neutral" when stopped in D range with the brakes applied - implying this is a fuel saving measure. How can you tell if that's working?

Thanks

-- Steve

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
My 04 2.5 XT with direct control AT has had this buzzing noise from day one. You can't hear it inside the cabin, but standing outside the car it is very noticeable at times. I *think* it can be considered normal; at least I haven't had any issues with the transmission as of yet (my car has 57k miles).

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pleiad7 said:
My 04 2.5 XT with direct control AT has had this buzzing noise from day one. You can't hear it inside the cabin, but standing outside the car it is very noticeable at times. I *think* it can be considered normal; at least I haven't had any issues with the transmission as of yet (my car has 57k miles).
Thanks. That's at least 2 other Foresters with the noise so I think I can feel comfortable that it's normal!

-- Steve

·
Registered
549 Posts
mine does it too... does some funny grind/clicking when shifting into 3rd too... both happen since day 1 dealership said both normal.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
What you are hearing is the transfer duty solenoid. That is the solenoid that controls the transfer clutch, which is what directs torque to the rear wheels. When the solenoid is fully activated by the TCM, no drive power is being directed towards the rear, and the solenoid buzzes. It doesn't buzz in N and D, because the TCM doesn't try to shut off torque to the rear when no power is going through the transmission.

Now, I know what you are thinking. And yes, that is correct, if the solenoid or the wiring malfunctions, the transfer clutch will be fully engaged, and the car will be locked into 4wd! You'll notice it as soon as you try to turn around and the car stops due to driveshaft wind-up!! That is how you know the transfer duty solenoid has failed, and it says so in the service manual. BTW, don't drive your car in this condition!

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MountainBiker said:
What you are hearing is the transfer duty solenoid. That is the solenoid that controls the transfer clutch, which is what directs torque to the rear wheels.
Great info, thanks. Getting the shop manual is on my to-do list!

--- Steve

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
732 Posts
I've noticed a "buzz" when my '04 XT 4EAT is in D, 3, 2, or 1 when I'm in a drive-through at a bank or fast-food place when I've got my window down and am in close proximity to a solid barrier such as a wall.

I assume it's the same thing you all describe?

I also get a whine that sometimes seems related to the steering...

47,500 miles

Bill

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've noticed a "buzz" when my '04 XT 4EAT is in D, 3, 2, or 1 when I'm in a drive-through at a bank or fast-food place when I've got my window down and am in close proximity to a solid barrier such as a wall.

I assume it's the same thing you all describe?
Yep, that sounds like same thing. Nothing to worry about :)

I also get a whine that sometimes seems related to the steering...
47,500 miles
All the time, or just when you turn the wheel?

-- Steve

·
Registered
2004 Forester AT... for now
1 Posts
I have the same buzzing noise when my car is in D,3,2, or 1. When you say the car "stops as you try to turn around", can you be more specific as to what "stops" implies???

"You'll notice it as soon as you try to turn around and the car stops due to driveshaft wind-up!!"

·
Registered
2003 forester
3 Posts
transfer solenoid buzz

So I have rebuilt and reinstalled ej 25 into 2003 forester. Now no turn over, with transfer solenoid buzz in any gear. Gonna start with checking over all connections, then fuse removal. Ordered a service manual, await the mail. Was really liking this motor, but now with all this wiring complication...Oy Vay!
PS to add that this sound persists with gear sensor removed. I had thought that when the car was having it's head gasket meltdown and I had to pull over I might have mis shifted to park. I was having trouble with the shifter and discovered a pebble had lodged in the sensor area when the engine was out. So I await the service manual. Next is fuses to try and determine the source of sound. Wondering if it could be stuck in gear? It rolls and parks easily, no sounds.

·
Registered
2003 Forester AWD
9 Posts
I did not want to open a new thread because of the same problem, so I'm writing up here.
I have 2003 forester X (non-turbo).

3 days ago I have forgot to close parking lights (its switch is on the steering wheel). It has been nearly 9 hours passed. I came to my car and tataaa !. The battery is over.
There is a chargable air pomp which can be used for in this position in my company. We connected it to battery and the engine started.
The day after, I bring the key to the ignition position the same buzzing sound has come from under the car. I went to my technician for this. He listened far away from the car and said ,"transmission selenoid, and no matter if the car shifts normally". I told him about the battery and he said the same thing. The fluid level is good.
That day, I used the car several times. Every time I listened, some times the sound came, and sometime did not.
But last 3 days the engine did not started normally like the battery is not charged. It takes 2-3 seconds to start.
Now I wonder if it is because of the battery. Is it?
Or the seleonids are damaged?
Or the problem will be totally solved if I change the battery?
Or the transmission is going to be cracked and I should sell the car?

Thanks in advance, sorry for my clerical errors.

Regards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts