Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just popping onto the market local to me is a Silver 04MY FXT 5sp with 65k miles. The price is right at $11k and the dealership says they don't negotiate. They are a small lot that is owned by a very reputable Subaru mechanic in the area. The only catch is that it's salvage and salvage due to hail. The hail damage has been repaired to new although the hood has been replaced and I have a feeling the paint matching might be slightly off. They have also done a full 'recondition' and have spared no expenses as it seems looking at the work invoice. Anyhow, out of curiosity what would you do? This could be my entry into the Subaru family, but I want to make sure I'm making a wise decision. All advice is welcome.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
61 Posts
i would pass.
i wouldnt touch a salvage title, and the price for me is a little high for a salvage.

resale will be a ***** later on, and insurance in your area may be a pain to get coverage with a salvage.

·
Registered
2000 Mazda Protege ES
50 Posts
Pass pass pass.

R titles can be a nightmare. Most banks will not finance. Insurance usually will only pay 1/2 what the blue book value is for a total of one.

KBB Retail on that car is $14,500. I say offer at most, half of that and tell them why. $7,250 would be a good buy.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well cuss. By the time I had made it to bed last night, I managed to do enough research on the dealership and shop to make myself fairly comfortable with the work that had been do to the car (spending $3500 on everything from tune up items to all the hail work and replacements) and the idea that this would be a sound purchase. I have been aware of the salvage but deemed it insignificant if it were only a result of hail. I wouldn't need to finance and I also expect to have the car a long time taking out any worry of resale pains. You gentlemen bring up some excellent points and I thank you for that. If only these cussing things weren't such a pain to find, but it looks/sounds like I'm walking.

I'd love to hear more if anyone else has advice for either side.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTL
94 Posts
Price is high for a salvage, but hail does happen.

Before I got my FXT last August I had a very nice Lexus IS300 Sportcross (wagon). The thing ran like a top. It was gorgeous. I had all of my parts accumulating and ready for Supra turbo install. Then one day in June we got nailed by one cuss of a cussing hail storm.
I won't say baseball size, but maybe racket-ball size hail.
It completely totaled my car. Everything else powerplant/ drivetrain/ suspension-wise was perfect.

If you are still considering it be certain to check the interior. Hail damage will break windows and sunroofs letting rain get inside the cabin / headliner / doorpanels etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off. El T, excellent use of the cuss word. Always puts a smile to my face.

I just put up the carfax and repair invoice if anyone would like to first analyze the problem at hand. Thanks all for your help, this is much appreciated.
EDIT: Well cuss, I can't post the pdf link until I get to 15 posts. If anyone really cares to see it, let me know and I can PM the link.

I will also add that last night prior to leaving the lot, I did offer the guy $9500 to sell that night. Crazy impulse, but what can you do? He basically said, "Sorry i should have told you over the phone, but we don't negotiate." He's been in the business a while and has gotten rid of all the parts about it he hated and marks the car to market. Nice guy, one of the better salesmen I've met, but definitely isn't looking to loose the car for lower than list at this point so it seems.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
51 Posts
This is my personal opinion, but if you think you might want to trade the car in in a couple years, pass it up without thinking otherwise. Resale value will be terrible. If you think you'll run the wheels off the car, then it might be worth it for you. As for insurance, call your company. I would definitely recommend getting GAP insurance though, just in case you are in a bad accident and they don't want to cover it, they'd still be forced to cover the difference in the loan.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Unless you get this car for say $7k or less its not worth it. They're asking not much less than market value for a car that will instantly have little value when you go to sell or even insure it. Would not buy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the advice. My once decidedly final move to go check out the car this Saturday to see it for the first time in the daylight and presumably buy the car is no more. There are more fish in the sea as they say and I can take my time in finding the perfect car. Also went out and test drove a couple Outback 2.5XTs. Not too sure what I am doing there, but it was kind of nice to drive a car with better interior finishes and car feel (something I'm used to). Anyhow, just seeing what's out there and the Outback doesn't seem all bad. It won't ever replace my first love for the FXT though.
And almost forgot, a trip with friends to Pueblo for some winter mountain biking made my already hesitant decision to see the car a second time this weekend all that more easy.

Thanks again,
Brian

·
Registered
2003 Forester
61 Posts
I will also add that last night prior to leaving the lot, I did offer the guy $9500 to sell that night. Crazy impulse, but what can you do? He basically said, "Sorry i should have told you over the phone, but we don't negotiate." He's been in the business a while and has gotten rid of all the parts about it he hated and marks the car to market. Nice guy, one of the better salesmen I've met, but definitely isn't looking to loose the car for lower than list at this point so it seems.

eh, i personally wont deal with lots that dont haggle.
especially when their cars are overpriced to begin with.
if the guy is trying to sell a salvage car for almost book value of a clean title, then i would pass without hesitation.
look in the classifieds here, i see plenty of foresters that i would LOVE to have on here. and you can pretty much find the history of the car on this forum, lol.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
Be very glad the car was gone.

Unless YOU were the one to damage the car to salvage, you'll never really know the whole truth on a salvage or reconstructed title vehicle.

A friend purchased a reconstructed Ford F-250 that supposedly been totaled due to being rolled. Dealer said it had a new cab and used 'southern' bed installed. After he bought it , it started having all sorts of electrical and computer issues. Turns out it was NEVER wrecked. It was a former utility bed equipped truck that was submerged in a flood! The local body shop/dealer bought it down south, along with a regular bed and new interior, "fixed" it up and sold it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
I would pass on this car at that price. It is most likely as represented, but the price just isn't that great on a salvaged vehicle.

If you do end up buying a Subie, check the Mountain forum for recommendations on local Mechanics.

I agree that you should keep your eye on the forum Cars for Sale section. There are some amazing deals on great vehicles there if you're willing to travel to pick them up.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts