Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the record -- I'm not a suspension "guru" of any sort, so take my opinion as what it is -- blurb on an Internet forum.

Impreza takeoff suspension is a relatively cheap way to upgrade our cars' handling and lower them. As time goes on, these pieces age and get lower in price. Sometimes "cheap" may work out great, or may end up being junk.

Springs -- IMO, springs don't go bad. Many people will debate that and ask "how many miles are on the springs you are selling"? Who cares -- they are pieces of steel, as long as it's good quality steel, they won't change their properties.

Struts -- struts are a wear item. They can bend, blow or loose pressure. In my experience, when a gas-filled damper is blown, it won't rebound properly. Meaning, if you compress the damper rod, it won't come back up on it's own. It will still dampen fine, just won't rebound right. There may also be a clunk when the rod is pushed in all the way down, watch for that too. I've bought blown dampers before, this simple test would have saved me some monies. Sometimes a car will ride "better" with blown dampers than with new ones. But, they won't rebound properly and handling won't be as safe.

IMO, it's always best to buy takeoffs in person so you can inspect them. Shipping ain't cheap and it sucks wasting money on shipping a blown strut.

Please, correct any bad info I've given above.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
Good info. One thing I learned this year is if you're buying used struts non-locally, make sure you get the part numbers to make sure they are indeed the right part... and not a painted red wrx non-inverted strut. :shake:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, may not be a bad idea to keep track of prices of used springs and struts. I've bought:

• full set of '02 WRX sedan struts, one was blown (I knew this) for $50 locally in 08/09
  • full set of '05 STi springs for $80 shipped from East Coast in 10/08.
Impreza went with different suspension setup in '08, so takeoff supplies for our cars are aging, so be aware.

Stan

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Steel creeps, so older springs will often give a lower ride height than new, lower still on the drivers side of the car as that will normally be the heavier side of the car.....

Simon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts