Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic NA
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm 20 years old and I'm finally in the market to buy a car of my own and I am set on getting a Forester!

For the past 5 years I have been driving my grandma's old Chevy Lumina, which now has 230k miles on it. I've been driving it since I was a sophomore in high school and I'm ready to move on from that thing. (Although it has treated me very well)

I've been looking at older foresters and have been very interested in the XT's. I'm not going to be very picky though because any car I buy is going to seem like a diamond compared to my Lumina. I'm mostly just looking for opinions and suggestions as to what I should be looking at and for.

I am a full time student and I have a full time job also. I will most likely be doing A LOT of highway driving with a new car. I love the look of the old foresters and would probably get into modding once I had one. I've never done something like that before, but after lurking this forum for the past couple of weeks I know I would love it. My budget is $10,000. I live in Montana where most sellers of Subarus overprice their cars, so I would be willing to drive ~500 miles to pick one up. Again, I am completely new to Subarus, car buying, and everything like this, so any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated! :icon_biggrin:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,250 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Subaru's are expensive to maintain... correctly. Beware of sales with mileage around the 105K mile range, as the critical & expensive timing belt + associated parts maintenance is due!

Also research on failing head gaskets, which have reported on even the later naturally aspirated engines. :icon_eek:

Good luck with your Forester search. :cool:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
17,728 Posts
You'd probably be looking at the 2006-2008 series for up to $10K USD from what I've just seen on the web - some say these were the best ever models. Turbos do add complications, maintenance and extra fuel so perhaps also consider a non-turbo if you want to protect your pocket; once you're at highway speed you will cruise just as comfortably.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited AT
314 Posts
Good choice man, I'd also look for an 06-08. Those are the last of the forester's that look like subarus to me and not crossover SUV things like everything else out there. Also if you're going to get a N/A (not turbo) those years are the best bet considering the older years are probably more prone to head gasket failure (ask me how i know) though I still love my 2000. I'll probably go for an XT for my next car as well so if you want one go for it! Indeed you will be needing to maintain it more with the turbo and premium gas and what not but that's up to you. Like Bobby said, find out if the timing belt and waterpump have been done recently before purchasing. Good luck with your forester hunt!!:bananapartyhat:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts