Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local independent shop run by a certified Subaru mechanic has a 2009 forester with auto trans for sale. He is replacing the timing belt so that's good, but what else should I ask him about? It has 127K with a price tag of $6,500. The consumer complaints on the 2009 have me a little spooked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That's the kind of info I'm looking for. He is waiting on the timing belt so there is still a window to get the pulleys replaced. Any further suggestions since the engine is apart? I keep hearing about head gasket issues too. Makes me wonder if this is just a bad year for the Forester engine.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
835 Posts
Well, if you really trust him you might cut a deal for quality HG replacements at the same time. There's shared labor on the two jobs and he might just enjoy pulling the engine. :>) That is a fair bit of work, but if the vehicle is in great shape otherwise it could have a lot of miles left in it. You will find a lot of info in other threads on this forum about both jobs and the best ways to approach them.

·
Registered
2017 Forester CVT
22 Posts
As an ex-Harley mechanic I know of many mechanics who buy used bikes, do the minimum necessary to get the bikes running to an acceptable level to sell. Mechanics know what to do to keep things running without doing to much. Unless you know this person and trust him I would be taking everything he tells you with a grain of salt. He may be honest but I know of to many mechanics who use the title just to sell something for a higher price with only minimum work done.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,937 Posts
The fact that he "was" only looking at the belt is worrisome. Ask him if there is leakage at the HG. There is a 50% chance the HGs will need replaced in the next 50K miles.

Don't know where you are located (you should list your approx location)...an independent subaru dealer in my area. Replaces the HG's and all the timing belt stuff on all subarus he sells...(Mike Shaffer, Marietta PA.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts