Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new here but I am looking into buying a 2004-2005 XT 5 speed.
I found one in Nor Cal that is a 2004 with 48k miles completely stock. They are asking $16k.
Then I see a couple in So Cal with lots of very nice mods but they have about 30k more miles. I do plan on modding the XT so what would you guys do?

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
socal puts on more miles than norcal does IMO. everything is just more spread out here and you drive so often. i'm from san francisco so that's my comparison of mileage. but as for mods, depends on what they are. you need to watch for mods that potentially tell you that the car has been abused.

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
$16k is way steep for a 2004, it should be several thousand less than that, I've seen them for $12k. So don't pay that!

I wouldn't mind a modded car as long as:

a) you know what you're getting, and
b) the mods are well done.

If the seller is a known member here, you can check their track record to see if they've done things well. But if you're unfamiliar with modding I'd steer away from a modded car. There are all sorts of people doing very unsafe or incorrect mods to their cars, and then they don't run well, and then they try to sell their supposedly awesome car that's running poorly. So be very careful.

Another thing, don't pay too high a price for a modded car - mods don't add near the same value to the car that they originally cost.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I really wanted a stock car and I then modded the crap out of it. If I was to do it again, I might buy one that was already mildly modded just to save some time/effort/cash.

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I would definitely only buy a modded car from a reputable member. The couple I have seen are very well done and the owners seem to have a great deal of knowledge. It will be weird to buy a car with a lot of mods because I love to do the work myself. It almost feels like cheating. I would always try to talk down the price that is just what they are asking.

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks nice but I am looking for an XT and I am not a big fan of the 06-08 look.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
117 Posts
16K is very steep, I purchased my 04 XT from a dealer for a little over 11K and it had 42K on the clock. I agree, if they are a known member, look it up and see what they have done but if you are unsure what you are looking at/for in mods, keep looking! My opinion, negotiate the higher price down and buy the stock one... there's nothing like the sense of accomplishment you get from looking at your car and knowing you made it what it is! good luck shopping!

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
I say you shouldn't get either of them because $16k is WAY too expensive for stock and I'm buying the one in So. Cal (if it's the same one lol)! :biggrin:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
2.5 years ago I paid 16.8K for my 05 XT premium (bone stock/lots of OEM accesories) with only 32k miles on it.

An 04 5 speed would not be a premium package model, so with 48k miles I wouldn't do more than maybe $12.5k, and that's if it was really, really clean.

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have some negotiating to do that's for sure.

Snoshado are you buying OMGAWD's?

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
343 Posts
I bought my 08 XT last September from a fellow forum member.

I initially wanted stock, but the guy had exactly the mods that I was looking for (and much more!) and he mentioned he was a mechanic. I took a risk and went with it, and I could not be happier. I get lots of comments on how well the mods were made and selected. Ì guess I was lucky; things could have gone the other way around.

Good luck with your search!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts