Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a guy selling a 2004 XT w/ 71k miles on it. It looks completely stock and he claims as such.

I found out yesterday that he blew the stock turbo and he has it in the shop getting it replaced with a new STI turbo. We also texted me this morning saying that he's got a 3" JDM exhaust he's willing to throw in.

When I was originally looking at this car my plan was to just get a COBB AP and wait a while before modding but this situation provides me with a unique opportunity and the more I can get installed now, the less tunes/dyno I have to pay for.

FYI I am a complete noob to modding cars but I have some elementary understanding of how all this stuff works.

My questions:
1. Do I need to port the wastegate on the turbo to eliminate boost issues? (If so, does someone have a pic and some instructions? I've been looking and have found stale threads with missing pics.)

2. Is the JDM exhaust worth putting on? Is there something that I could buy that would be signifficantly better? (I could sell the JDM and use the money towards a better exhaust.)

3. Should I be concerned about the stock turbo dying at 71k miles?

Thanks to all of you guys! This forum has been so helpful with all my Forester questions.

(My 99 N/A died in Dec and it's been killing me not having a Forester.)

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Depending on which STi turbo he's having installed, I wouldn't really worry about having it ported to solve the boost issues. Typically the boost issues are only caused by an improper tune. Plus the VF39 turbo was the only with boost creeping issues, but it also had wastegate cracking issues.

The JDM exhaust requires a JDM downpipe in order to fit properly... so unless he has one of those to go with it, I wouldn't bother with it. Sell it and get something the right length, though "better" might not happen.
Also, the dead turbo at 71k could be from oil starvation or just abuse. I'd be more concerned about how abusive he was on the car.

Best of luck though.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K. A couple follow-up questions:

1. The V39 turbo. Is that the stock XT one or the STi one?

2. What other things should I look for on the car that might be indicative that he's been abusive to the car? Should I be concerned? He's a younger guy and it wouldn't surprise me if we just wailed on this car. (I will test drive it in a few days once the turbo is replaced.)

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
1. the vf39 is the sti stock turbo. the fxt stock turbo is a td04.

2. if he's young i gurantee he beat on it, didnt you when you were younger - its a used car buyer beware. do a compression and leak down test on the motor. if he has an exhaust lying around whats to say it was modified b4...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Newish question:

OK, they're putting a new V39 in, I'm ordering a COBB AP......where to from here? I've read through the "Faster than a STi" thread and it sounds like I would want a STi TMIC and some turbo-back exhaust.

What do I go shopping for?

I'm not experienced at all with modding a car but I have pulled the exhaust off and patched holes before. (On my previous Forester.) If you could be as clear as possible, it would be greatly appreciated (I had to ask my friend *** TMIC stood for yesterday). Thank you guys!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts