Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium CVT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found a 2019 Forester Premium with Option 15
One owner lease return with 11,000 miles. (Did some digging and found the owners were in their early 70s)
Certified.
$24,900

Trading 2014 Forester Premium with 165,700 miles for $5,000.
Total after taxes & fees - trade:
$21,854

Not too shabby. Whatdya think?

Test drive photo:

·
Registered
2015 Forester Automatic
14 Posts
I think you can get more for the 2014 if you sell it on your own. I also agree with Cddelta. Why trade the 2014. You have plenty of miles left to run in it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two valve body replacements. Showing P2762 again, likely a torque converter. Not putting big money into it anymore.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you can get more for the 2014 if you sell it on your own. I also agree with Cddelta. Why trade the 2014. You have plenty of miles left to run in it!
I agree I could get more in a private sale but it’s too much of a hassle for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also use the vehicle to drive on the beach with the family most weekends in the summer and fall for fishing and relaxation. I need to know it won’t leave my family stranded in the sand with a $400 beach tow bill and a ruined weekend.

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
623 Posts
How much are you saving compared to a new 2021? Remember 2019 is the first year of this generation, just as 2014 was the first year of the previous generation. Might be better to skip the bugs that go with the first year of a new generation. Plus you get the new car warranty with a new 2021.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much are you saving compared to a new 2021? Remember 2019 is the first year of this generation, just as 2014 was the first year of the previous generation. Might be better to skip the bugs that go with the first year of a new generation. Plus you get the new car warranty with a new 2021.
I’m at about $3,600 difference between new and this CPO, same options.

CPO would only have 8 months/24k miles remaining on the bumper to bumper warranty and a little over 4.5 years/89k on the powertrain warranty.
We also just bought a 2021 Ascent Limited a few months ago; was trying to shave some pennies but now not sure how much I’m saving is worth it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A new would probably cost $7000 more. In the lifetime of the vehicle, you’re probably not going to have $7000 in additional costs, especially not during the first 36k miles. Basically you would be paying $7000 for a limited warranty! I wish I had bought a 2-3 year old car, but I learned my lesson with rapid depreciation.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A new would probably cost $7000 more. In the lifetime of the vehicle, you’re probably not going to have $7000 in additional costs, especially not during the first 36k miles. Basically you would be paying $7000 for a limited warranty! I wish I had bought a 2-3 year old car, but I learned my lesson with rapid depreciation.
Exactly.
I average about 15k miles per year now. I’ll eat through a new car 5/60k powertrain warranty in 4 years anyway, and the CPO has 4 years remaining with mileage allowances much higher (22.5k per year) to hit.
The only thing I lose out on is the limited warranty, which will run out in year 3 in about 8 months. I could spend maybe $1500 and get an extra Subaru warranty to wrap if I wanted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
@Lava14 even the extended warranties aren’t a great deal if there is a $200 deductible. If you’re at all handy, and I’m guessing you are because you’re in this forum, you can do repairs on your own and save a ton.
I’m definitely never buying a new car again!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Lava14 even the extended warranties aren’t a great deal if there is a $200 deductible. If you’re at all handy, and I’m guessing you are because you’re in this forum, you can do repairs on your own and save a ton.
I’m definitely never buying a new car again!
Correct.
Oil, differential, coolant, belts I do myself. Plugs as well if I can fit my hand in there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, is there much to be feared from the 19s? I get it, new generation first model, but my 14 was pretty solid. I haven’t seen a lot of posts about people upset with their 19s (aside from start/stop lol)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also, is there much to be feared from the 19s? I get it, new generation first model, but my 14 was pretty solid. I haven’t seen a lot of posts about people upset with their 19s (aside from start/stop lol)
I’m at 53k on my 19. So far al I’ve done is change the oil and air filters a bunch of times, the differentials once, the cvt 1 drain & fill.

Warranty wise l, I had a headlight leak and need replacement, a rear speaker need replacement, pcv recall, rear hatch recall. (6 visits in 52k miles)

Mechanically, I was getting some minor ticking sounds when cold or under light acceleration, which I resolved by running a tank of premium fuel and BG44K fuel system cleaner as recommended by an independent mechanic. Subaru sells an “engine maintenance kit” with upper engine cleaner that is sprayed into the intake manifold to clean the valves of carbon buildup. I plan to use that every 6-10k miles due to known issues with direct injected motors and carbon buildup on the valves. Spark plugs and fuel filter are soon, at 60k.

I did an oil analysis on the cvt and differential oils, and after 42k, the rear diff was showing signs of wear, but cvt and front diff were fine, although the fluid was dark. I plan to change the diff oil every 15k or so as shown in thel “severe service” section of the manual. Cvt fluid I plan to drain and fill every 25k miles or so. Living in Southern California, summers are hot (100+), winters in the mountains are cold (often single digit mornings).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m at 53k on my 19. So far al I’ve done is change the oil and air filters a bunch of times, the differentials once, the cvt 1 drain & fill.

Warranty wise l, I had a headlight leak and need replacement, a rear speaker need replacement, pcv recall, rear hatch recall. (6 visits in 52k miles)

Mechanically, I was getting some minor ticking sounds when cold or under light acceleration, which I resolved by running a tank of premium fuel and BG44K fuel system cleaner as recommended by an independent mechanic. Subaru sells an “engine maintenance kit” with upper engine cleaner that is sprayed into the intake manifold to clean the valves of carbon buildup. I plan to use that every 6-10k miles due to known issues with direct injected motors and carbon buildup on the valves. Spark plugs and fuel filter are soon, at 60k.

I did an oil analysis on the cvt and differential oils, and after 42k, the rear diff was showing signs of wear, but cvt and front diff were fine, although the fluid was dark. I plan to change the diff oil every 15k or so as shown in thel “severe service” section of the manual. Cvt fluid I plan to drain and fill every 25k miles or so. Living in Southern California, summers are hot (100+), winters in the mountains are cold (often single digit mornings).
Not bad at all. My philosophy is the same with respect to the CVT. I opted for 30k mile intervals for a drain/fill and diff oil 15k, oil changes at 5k. I’ll continue this going forward.

Good call with the engine cleaner due to direct injection.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,639 Posts
Just don't leave the 2019 tailgate open very long as it's been know to run down the battery.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,639 Posts
That should take care of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts