Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
M
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

Looking to buy my first Forester in the next couple of weeks. Was pretty set on a 2011 model - until i read up online that they can often have a few more problems then 12' or 10' models - mainly to do with engine/oil problems.

Could anyone shed some light on this? Am i better to go with a 2010 model with a few more Km's or spend a bit more on a 2012 model.

Hoping to use it for camping trips/ beach driving and a bit of off roading - no serious rock climbing. I notice the 2012 onwards models down have the dual-range gear stick that comes on early models. Does this affect its off road ability?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Hi and welcome!

(I'm assuming you're talking about the normally aspirated, non turbo models)

The 2010 models, with the EJ series engines, are sound but you have to check for several things. You'll want to see full service history. Check head gasket (HG) area very carefully. If the HGs have been doine, ensure MLS gaskets were used. The timing belt will need replacing appx every 9 years / 100k miles, along with the tensioner, water pump and idlers.

The 2011 onwards, with the FB engine, don't have a timing belt. They had the MLS gasket fitted as standard but you still need to check HGs carefully.Some of the earlier models suffered piston ring issues and subsequent oil consumption problems. Again, full service records are key here.

In either case, with the EJ series or FB series, I'd buy as late a model as you can afford.

Edit / add - You saying 'G'day' is a clue you might be from Aus or NZ?! (If you'd completed your profile fully, we'd know ;) ) If so, you will also, luckily, have access to diesel powered Foresters. I have no experience of thosebut my advice to you is to keep any future questions about diesel Foresters and petrol Foresters very separate, due to the engine differences.

·
Registered
M
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome!

(I'm assuming you're talking about the normally aspirated, non turbo models)

The 2010 models, with the EJ series engines, are sound but you have to check for several things. You'll want to see full service history. Check head gasket (HG) area very carefully. If the HGs have been doine, ensure MLS gaskets were used. The timing belt will need replacing appx every 9 years / 100k miles, along with the tensioner, water pump and idlers.

The 2011 onwards, with the FB engine, don't have a timing belt. They had the MLS gasket fitted as standard but you still need to check HGs carefully.Some of the earlier models suffered piston ring issues and subsequent oil consumption problems. Again, full service records are key here.

In either case, with the EJ series or FB series, I'd buy as late a model as you can afford.

Edit / add - You saying 'G'day' is a clue you might be from Aus or NZ?! (If you'd completed your profile fully, we'd know ;) ) If so, you will also, luckily, have access to diesel powered Foresters. I have no experience of thosebut my advice to you is to keep any future questions about diesel Foresters and petrol Foresters very separate, due to the engine differences.

Cheers mate!

Appreciate the advice re HG's - i'll make sure i'm on top of that. Sounds like my best option is spend a bit more on a 2012 or 13 model.

Can you shed any light on the lack of dual-range in the later models? I am 100% invested in wanting to get a manual model (preferably diesel - but they are hard to come by) which is why i thought having dual range would be important.

(Also, yes i am from Aus - i'll update my profile and make sure i include whether im talking petrol or diesel next time. Cheers for that. )

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
The USA models didn't get the dual range so I'm not exactly sure how long they were available for where you are. You'll have to do some Googling or see if someone from Oz who knows about these things comes along to help.

Are you planning on doing some serious off roading? You might find these threads enlightening re dual range -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts