Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've got a child on the way and am looking to get a safe family car. I've been reading about purchasing options (costco and dealers), but I'm a little confused about what is price I should be paying. I understand I should not be paying more than Invoice, but what is the Invoice price? When I look up on Edmunds.com I see the MSRP almost $1000 less than what I see on dealer web sites for the base model. I assume that is because Edmunds.com does not include the destination fee? So does that mean that the Invoice price on Edmunds.com is $1000 less than what I should expect to pay?

I just want to know what price I should be shooting for.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I've got a child on the way and am looking to get a safe family car. I've been reading about purchasing options (costco and dealers), but I'm a little confused about what is price I should be paying. I understand I should not be paying more than Invoice, but what is the Invoice price? When I look up on Edmunds.com I see the MSRP almost $1000 less than what I see on dealer web sites for the base model. I assume that is because Edmunds.com does not include the destination fee? So does that mean that the Invoice price on Edmunds.com is $1000 less than what I should expect to pay?

I just want to know what price I should be shooting for.

Thanks.
It also depends on what port-installed options the car has. There are hardly any on the dealer lots that are just bare bones, so you'll need to itemize for those options and deduct them from the total. Like you said, the destination fee is also not included in edmund's numbers.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Ltd
46 Posts
Try truecar.com. You can configure the car with exactly the options the dealer is offering it with, or the way you want to order it, and get sticker, invoice, and the range of actual prices paid. I used it, and was happy with the deal I got. I believe others on this forum have used it as well.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, I realized for the car I'm looking at now, there is only $300 difference between MSRP from the dealer vs from the subaru online build site or truecar.com.

It also depends on what port-installed options the car has. There are hardly any on the dealer lots that are just bare bones, so you'll need to itemize for those options and deduct them from the total. Like you said, the destination fee is also not included in edmund's numbers.
It looks like no options. All the features listed are standard. And under Options is this
PARTIAL ZERO EMISSION (PZEV)
PZEV CERTIFIED WHERE REQUIRED
PZEV WARRANTY STATE SPECIFIC
SUPER-ULTRA LOW EMISSION VEHICLE

and I wouldn't think that adds to the price, because it seems like there is no option to not get PZEV. That's why the only thing I can think of is destination fee.

Try truecar.com. You can configure the car with exactly the options the dealer is offering it with, or the way you want to order it, and get sticker, invoice, and the range of actual prices paid. I used it, and was happy with the deal I got. I believe others on this forum have used it as well.
Thanks, it seems like a good site.

This is my first time looking at cars from a dealership so I'm just making sure I get the best price. But, I'm no longer so concerned now that I see much less difference from the dealer price.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I get a dealer cost for a stock 2010 Forester 2.5XT Limited at about $25,830. I would think that $26,600 would be a fair offer - $27,300 after adding destination. PZEV is an option in any state that doesn't require it. If your local dealer's Foresters all have the PZEV emblem on the back, you state may require it.

There's no reason to base what you should pay on what others have paid. I don't think most people negotiate their deals well.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester
114 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
PZEV is not a factor with the XT pricing, as there is no PZEV XT, only the normally asipirated 2.5L's can have PZEV

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funwithdirt,

You may want a Foz Premium rather than the base model. See this thread below - and then the long link with other discussions on child seats. You MUST read these before buying a car for your new child (congrats!)
Thanks for that. We are about to go the the dealer again right now and I checked this thread. Now I'm a little scared to buy today. Damn. I'll try and get a baby seat from a friend for another test drive.

And Jared you're right about the PZEV. We are pinching pennies now and looking for base models even though the title says XT.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went in search of a base model 2010 X. It turned out the dealer had a 2009 X Premium that they used for a loaner car when cars were getting serviced. It had 11,000 miles. It was perfect. We wanted tinted windows, roof rails, and rear reclining seat but couldn't afford a new Premium. So it's a pretty much new car with all the options we wanted but couldn't afford for less than what we were willing to pay for a 2010 X base model. Its got the rear reclining seats for the extra room for the baby seats. I'm super happy :woohoo::woohoo::bananapartyhat:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts