Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Gunna get one. Not got one yet.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to get my first forester after having very good experiences driving a family member's previous 2004 and current 2013 one.

Looking at the used market a 2009-2010 one would suit my budget. An older one might too but I like the larger size of the >= 2009 versions. Ideally one with alloys and the factory roof rack.

Because of my budget constraints it might have to be a higher mileage version, say around the 100k mark. I am to believe that when a Forester has been cared for, there will still be plenty of good quality miles left in it right?

Also, what should I expect from a high mileage 2009-10 forester with regards engine noise. Do they start to much get louder as they get older. What are the common things that wear out at this age? And.. what might I expect in terms of maintenance say worst case and best case. Finally what red flags should I l be watching out for when I am shopping around.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2011 Touring 4EAT
307 Posts
The 2011 and newer non turbo models use a new motor design that does not require the timing belt change that pre 2011 models do.

Some 2011 and up owners have been complaining about high oil consumption. I have 80k Km on my 2011 non-turbo and like most, have not experienced oil consumption problems.

If you factor in the cost of a timing belt change that a high mileage pre-2011 would require a 2011 might not be much more money if you can get one that does not have the oil consumption issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2010 Gunna get one. Not got one yet.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't get many responses to my original question, so I hope you don't mind if I bump it up.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
Which SH to buy?

I am happy with my 2011; no oil loss problems.

See "cars101.com" for info on the various model years.

A car with 100k should have plenty of life left. It is best to have a mechanic check it over first, to see what needs to be fixed. General maintenance: brakes, muffler, coolant change, etc. Older cars may have some rattles to fix.

Consumers Reports rates Subaru cars as consistently reliable.

I like your model and transmission info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts