Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Ltd
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SPT EXHAUST WARRANTY DENIED BY SOA!!!!

Back in January, a crack was found at a weld point in the SPT catback exhaust by an inspection station. The mechanics looking at it determined that the crack was cause by a bad weld.

After going back and forth with SOA, the official ruling from SOA is that this exhaust warranty is voided, since the exhaust was not made for the Forester. They can not cover any warranty on this exhaust, even though it was installed on the vehicle at the time of purchase by a Subaru dealership.

Furthermore, I was informed that by having this exhaust on the vehicle, in Subaru's eyes, I am now risking the warranty to the powertrain and emissions systems should any problems arise from them, and that those issues might not be covered under warranty due to having a catback exhaust (regardless that it is made by Subaru) because it was not designed for that application.

BUYER BEWARE.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Bummer.

I feel your frustration, but it shouldn't cost more than $20 (if that) at a good muffler shop to fix.

And what The Black Box said.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts

Furthermore, I was informed that by having this exhaust on the vehicle, in Subaru's eyes, I am now risking the warranty to the powertrain and emissions systems should any problems arise from them, and that those issues might not be covered under warranty due to having a catback exhaust (regardless that it is made by Subaru) because it was not designed for that application.
Sounds like they're just trying to scare you here. Just so you'll just "drop it".

Did the dealer offer you or recommend to you the exhaust, as in, "Do you want to upgrade" or "Yea, we have an exhaust that will fit the Forester"?
Or did you have to ask for it, as in, "Hey, can you put the STi exhaust on my Forester")?
If it's the first one you might have a case for a refund on the exhaust and an argument against the car warranty b.s.

...and what they ^ said. Find a new dealer. And a good exhaust shop would fix that no prob.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Ltd
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Find a different dealer. Beyond the warranty on the exhaust if they feel the need to warn you about the powertrain warranty I'd go elsewhere.
This info came directly from Subaru Corporate, and not from a dealership. I am SOL, and I am warning everyone here so that I might save someone the same headaches.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Mmm.. this is why I NEVER let dealerships install mods.. they will never cover it, even if the mod is a part made by an entity of the brand and comes with a warranty. And then when it's time to fix, revert anything you can.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Sorry to hear. Just goes to prove that dealerships are only interested in the bottom line. The only thing I let them do to my car is fluid changes.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I'm surprised that you weren't aware of this in the first place... this goes for ANY aftermarket part, SPT or otherwise. Subaru has defended this stance for many years now and they are pretty explicit about it in their warranty: http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/spt/disclaimer_parts.pdf

IMPORTANT NOTICE
This Subaru performance part has been designed and is intended for off highway application only. Installation of this part on a vehicle intended for use on public roads may violate state or federal laws and regulations including those relating to emissions requirements and motor vehicle safety standards. Federal and many state laws prohibit the removal, modification or rendering inoperative of any part or vehicle system affecting emissions or safety. Violations may result in a fine of up to $10,000 per vehicle. In addition, installation of this part may adversely affect the warranty coverage on your vehicle.
Yes, it's lawyer talk, but it's what it boils down to in the end. The only way to be 100% warranty compliant is to leave the vehicle stock, period. Either that, or be prepared to pay to play. :shrug:

Their interpretation of the parts warranty on the other hand I think is highly debatable. But the only way to fight them on that would be to lawyer up and waste a bunch of money in legal fees. Cheaper to just go to your friendly neighborhood exhaust shop, have them fix the weld for $20, and get on with life.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
when modding a car, this is one of the risks involved. sorry you had to learn this way... where exactly did the exhaust crack?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I feel your pain, but just go to a muffler shop and have it welded for $40. Screw the dealer.

Stan

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
604 Posts
I had purchased a stromung cat back a few years back. A year later their was a crack in one of the welds. I had it welded for $35. Problem fixed. I spent $600 on the exhaust, but I wasn't going to take it off and send it back. Plus is was a one of a kind set-up. Only 2 ever made if I recall.

You should of take it somehwere else and installed it. Then brought it to them with the crack off the car. They maybe would of not known it was on a forerster and replaced it. I think thats what I'll do.

Like tuned200 said, keep your stock parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts