Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a new forester limited in Toronto.
the dealer is holding tight on MSRP, $1525 for shipping, also they're adding "non-waving admin fee" on top of everything, which is almost $450. I'm wondering if all new subie owners had same experience like this? Really envy U.S. subie owners now!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Please do some shopping around, even if you make some contacts via e-mail.

Direct your inquiries to the Sales Managers, even if they pass it along, they know a sale could happen.

The dealers around here have plenty of Foresters on their lots, what they are in real need of are the new Outbacks so deals should be happening with their year end now behind them.

Check out Budd's in Oakville, Hamilton Subaru, C&C in Whitby, or Trento Motors in Etobicoke.

Good luck, let us know here how things progress.

(here's something else you can try, contact the dealership that won't budge via e-mail and see what another sales person will do)

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advise, Monday, I'll call them see what they offer. It gonna worth the trip if they just waive the $450 admin fee.

I'll keep you folks updated what I get. Cheers.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
You should be able to do better for sure. I payed less than MSRP in the fall of 09 when they were in shorter supply, and did not pay the kind of other fees this COU dealer is asking. There must be other option in the area? Vancouver has at least 4 Subaru dealers so I would be surprised that TO has less. Heck, the Kamloops/Okanagan area has 4 dealers!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
132 Posts
Yes!!! Shop around. I got my '09 in June for less than the "dealer's" invoice price, which is a bit less than MSRP. (c'mon they couldn't have paid that much for it when they let me see the invoice...lol...) I actually walked away from that deal and said that I still had a month to look...So, they called me up two days later and offered to make the last lease payment on my Honda Pilot to sweeten the deal. So I got below dealer "proclaimed" invoice and a check for almost $500. No extra fees were added, just tax, title, and license. I thought it was a fair transaction.

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the response from SCI

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for contacting Subaru Canada. We appreciate your interest in Subaru products.

In response to your question regarding fees on new vehicle sales in Ontario, some fees may vary from one dealership to another. We recommend speaking with local dealership in regards to the breakdown and nature of the fees you mentioned. Subaru Canada's website provide the monthly payment estimate including freight, taxes (not including deposit) and pre-delivery inspection, but excludes licensing fees, insurance, tire and battery levies, gas tax, PPSA/RDPRM fees, administration fees, documentation charges and other dealer charges.

The $199 administration fee may differ from one dealership to another but is usually kept around that price range. The $249 includes tire tax, Globali car theft coverage and OMVIC fee. Globali car theft coverage is not a mandatory charge but is often an added feature by dealers prior to the vehicle being sold. The dealership you are dealing with can answer all of your questions regarding Globali.

We regret that we could not be of assistance to you in this instance.

Sincerely,

Julien Bonneau
Customer Care/Service à la clientèle
1-800-894-4212

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
So what were the reponse's you got in shopping around? Did you find anyone with a better price?
Subaru's answer pretty much was what everyone has been telling you "some fees may vary from one dealership to another".
As far as the Globali fee, just tell the dealer you don't want it and won't pay for it, and if they tell you you'll have to wait for a new shipment, walk.

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far, most dealers in TO didn't give me any suprise yet. Hope the dealers out of town will show some sincerity on its price and "fees". The Toyota gas paddle thing might push subies on higher demand, dealers here will be cockier for sure.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When looking to buy I sent an email to all the dealerships I was willing to drive to asking for their out the door price. Just tell them what you are doing and that the lowest price gets your sale and see who answers ya.

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
When looking to buy I sent an email to all the dealerships I was willing to drive to asking for their out the door price. Just tell them what you are doing and that the lowest price gets your sale and see who answers ya.
+1 *im actually doing this right now. so it's just a waiting game for me in the next few days. :icon_cool:

also if you could figure out the way these fees are computed on an excel sheet, you'll have a better understanding who's 'hiding' so much fees, who's overcharging so much for profits and what-nots.

im from california and i just googled and found these 2 helpful sites among others - dmv.ca.gov "Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator" & dataconsultants.com "California DMV License Fees and Smog Fees"
i created an excel spreadheet and by just having the car price (of course, it's better to ask for the otd price coz u just never know :p), i could figure out basically my otd price - how much im paying for sales tax and dmv fees. tire fee is constant while doc prep fee is variable but so far $55 seems to be the norm in california (this fee is added to the car price to determine the sales tax). one nevada honda dealership has $339 dealer doc fee :icon_eek: i didnt bother replying to them. :p

... my 2 cents!

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
868 Posts
When I was looking for my XT in 2005 I was living in Orlando, FL and had a similar experience. The dealer that was close to me was a nightmare to deal with and they had a $2500 FMA charge on all of their cars. It took talking to three people before I could get an answer as to *** an "FMA" charge was.

(Paraphrased)
"FMA means Fair Market Adjustment. Because of the downturn in the economy the US dollar has devalued against foreign currency. This charge is there so that Subaru can continue to charge the same equivalent price for the vehicle and not lose money. It's just how international economics work."

BS!

Needless to say no other dealers had a FMA on their stickers. And after getting done with a third test drive (I was with a new salesman) another sales guy came up to the car and had the salesman roll down the window. The senior guy proceeded to lean in the window and ask the new guy "So, are they ready to buy the car?" The new guy said he didn't think so.........Then the senior guy actually opened up the door, and said "Well you need to go over to those people. They're ready to sign right now." He practically pulled the newer guy out of the car and we couldn't get help from anyone after that. We finally complained to the sales manager, which was basically a waste of time.

Three days later I drove into their parts department in my brand new FXT with my window down and the senior salesman was standing outside while I drove past. Just gave him a nice smile and wave.

I also got a deal that was about $1000 better than that dealer before they added their BS FMA charge.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts