Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'02 Forester Automatic
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question. After driving and parking it in the garage, I smell almost a burn popcorn smell coming from the engine bay. Is this something to be worried about? I just recently purchased the car from my in-laws and they have already had the head gasket replaced. When I look over the engine with a flashlight, I can't see any fluid or oil in visible spots.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Coolant or Oil wouldn't smell like burnt popcorn... by any chance were there a lot of squirrels and stuff at your in-laws place?
I had a chipmunk problem two years ago while storing my Skyline and had to clean out a lot of acorns before putting the car back on the road in the spring. There were still a few left over and the odour while they were burnt off did smell similar to burnt popcorn.
I'd suggest checking for possible rodent-related objects near the exhaust and drivetrain.

·
Registered
'02 Forester Automatic
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, no rodent problem. It was my mother-in-laws car and she drove it daily back and forth to work. My wifes aunts '01 Forester had the same problem. Right after parking it, there would be the smell. My wifes aunts was parked in the garage also. The temperature isn't going up while driving and the oil level is spot on. I'm just stumped. :confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts