Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have 2004 XT turbo Forester 5sp manual 200,000kms on the clock still in very good shape from previous owners, no mechanical or any other issues known and I’ve been researching this the last few days and can’t seem to find a link to my problem, so the other day I was at a set of lights and cars backed up behind me on a hill as I went to take off the car was not in first gear it appeared to be in third and struggled the car smoked behind which I assume from the exhaust and a smell from a burning clutch it only lasted maybe less 10 seconds, however now when in a full stop in first gear taking off and release the clutch at the end of the release out the clutch and car starts to shudder and if I hold the clutch it lets off a a burning smell again. This happened whilst feathering the clutch in reverse after this incident, I’ve been driving and fixing my own cars for over 10 years never had burnt out clutch but I’ve never had a subaru any ideas and advice would be appreciated. Cheers, I’m in Australia as well.

Have to add it had new clutch replacement less then 15,000ks before I bought and it had never been raced or poorly treated

Also I’m not a mechanic but I assume I’ve done some damage either severely glazed the plate or completely damaged the flywheel, spigot any advice would be awesome cheers

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
702 Posts
Welcome to forum.

You'll find out your Forester clutch specific damage once you/your shop get it taken apart. You're going to end up doing that - no way out of it. Just reach into your wallet :frown2:

In terms of clutch longevity I've not noticed any systematic complaining about Subie clutches lasting less than normal.

My Subie is an AT unit, but have an Accord 5spd with 260,000 miles on original clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I assume it will cost a fair bit at the mechanics but it has had a clutch replacement twice from the last two owners and I got the last one wrong it was only 5000ks ago it was replaced surely it can’t give out that easy it was literally less then 5 seconds, I have done some further inspection and research and self diagnostic from the workshop manual and it does show any sign of damage to the clutch however every sign of either the clutch master or slave if so this would have been due to it already going out but I’ll have to wait it out abit due lack of funds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts