Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester JDM EJ205 5-Speed Manual
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today after coming home from work in the rain i noticed a slight burning smell from the back of the car, it was raining and i noticed that the rim was completely dry and could feel heat coming from it, yet the passenger rear wheel was wet and cold. Am i right in amusing that the rear brake is just sticking on or could this be something like a wheel bearing?

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,815 Posts
Yes your caliper on that corner is frozen. Time to replace it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the e brake all the time so I dont think it would be that, if there a way to fix the caliper or am I S.O.L amd have to replace the whole unit? Not just something like the sliders need lube?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved, replaced the rear pads and rotors, one of the sliders was starting to sieze and one pad was completely siezed up.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
This can be a problem in the older Foresters and although you have it working now be prepared for it to happen again. The calipers on a lot of the older cars are prone to seizing I think and the only way to deal with it properly, short of buying a new one, is to strip and rebuild with new seals (and pistons too if you have the money, plated reasonable, SS a good bit more costly but it's releative I guess). There is lots of info to be found online on how to do this. I had a recurring issue on the drivers rear and despite changing the pads and greasing the outer part of the piston, under the dust seal repeatedly, it came back and eventually I bought a used part which was stripped and rebuilt it prior to getting it fitted.

The front calipers are prone to this as well where one of the pistons seizes, dramatically reduing efficiency. When this happens on both sides, as well as the rears joing in, it becomes a liability in an emergency although daily driving seems alright. When I upgraded the front to 4 pot/294mm discs I discovered that both fronts had one piston siezed and one of the others, on the drivers side I think, was stiff too. A friend who has a 2000 S turbo on factory brakes doesn't have this problem, I nearly faceplanted in the car park the first time I drove it so if all the calipers are working, it seems these brakes are ok. Some guys I know over here track their cars and a couple of them are running stock brakes albeit with HD pads so I guess they must be ok even if the WRX is somewhat lighter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts