Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am a day after my 30K service. I drove the kids to daycare and noticed a burning smell coming from the engine area. I didnt think it was my car untill I arrived at work. I smelled it again a 2nd time but not as strong as the first. Driving it yesterday I didnt notice any kind of smells??

They changed out all the fluids yesterday, flushed the coolant, flushed brakes and added a cooling conditioner. Gear Oil etc.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? All fluid levels are normal.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
They mechanics probably spilled either brake, oil, diff, or tranny fluid on the exaust when they changed them. Check for leaks and make sure nothing is dripping or pooling up anywhere. If it doesn't go away in a few days, I'd take it back to make sure everything is good.

Mark

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so the problem hasnt changed. But get this after closely looking at the invoice I noticed this.

OK So Im looking at the invoice it says Gear Oil 80W90 x5. But get this my FOZ is an automatic!

I check the owners manual and it says to use Subaru automatic Tranny fluid. (of course)

Do you guys think this could be the problem?

It also doesnt seem to shift quite as smooth.

Could there be damage if this is the case or am I just on crack?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
It's just oil burn off from a drop or two that managed to find it's way onto a hot area or exhaust. Nothing to worry about. If there was a leak or something actually wrong, it would be POURING smoke out the engine bay.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,100 Posts
I agree on the spilled fluids theory.. Take it for a 25-30 mile cruise on the highway it should burn it all off.

Just checking.. you did have this service done at a Subaru dealership didn't you? Both Front and Rear Differentials require gear oil so that's probably where it went

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,090 Posts
... looking at the invoice it says Gear Oil 80W90 x5. But get this my FOZ is an automatic!... Could there be damage if this is the case or am I just on crack?
The rear differential takes .9 qt of gear oil and the front differential takes 1.1 qt of gear oil. The x5 could mean GL5, which is the correct extreme pressure kind of gear oil.

If they changed the auto transmission fluid, they invoice would show that as either 4 qts of ATF if it was a drain and refill, or 10 qts if it was a complete flushed replacement.

The smell is probably motor oil spilled on the header heat shield from changing the oil filter.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree on the spilled fluids theory.. Take it for a 25-30 mile cruise on the highway it should burn it all off.

Just checking.. you did have this service done at a Subaru dealership didn't you? Both Front and Rear Differentials require gear oil so that's probably where it went
Yes I did a subaru dealership. But Ive heard they arent all that good. Not many choices in the panhandle of florida.

As far as the colors go they all match.

I drive her at least 40 miles round trip daily.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The front differential takes 1 qt of gear oil. The x5 could mean GL5, which is the correct extreme pressure kind of gear oil.
The smell is probably motor oil spilled on the header heat shield from changing the oil filter.
I didnt have the oil changed due it being changed last month.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks like they managed to spill the front Diff oil all over. They even somehow got some on the side of the turbo heat shield. This stuff stinks and I even tried to pressure wash the stuff off. FML

You can even smell it coming in through the vents when you have the heat on.

F*$% Lee Subaru of Fort Walton Beach. :mob: :chair:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts