Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Badge of honour earned... I think it's time for some new rear ARB (RSB) mounts! :icon_eek:

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,546 Posts
Was this using the OEM ARB?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, 20mm STi. I think having 106k miles on them plus a slight over-exuberance one the way home from work testing out the new suspension and geometry setup may have had something to do with it too though ;o)

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Luckily it didn't happen during cornering :icon_eek:
What mounts and droplinks are you going for?
Let us know how you get on. Both Perrin and Whiteline stout mounts are shorter than the OEM AFAIK :(

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweety nice break
but the question is did it handel well before it broke :)
Yes, very well... had some nice tyre squeal on a couple of roundabouts I know well :biggrin:

Luckily it didn't happen during cornering :icon_eek:
What mounts and droplinks are you going for?
Let us know how you get on. Both Perrin and Whiteline stout mounts are shorter than the OEM AFAIK :(
Yes, it was a bit - there was a knock as I came out of one corner and then a clunk when I hit a small pothole which must have been when the first lug broke, then a bigger clonk when the second lug broke and the bar was then only attached that side by the drop link... fortunately, I was only a mile or two from home when it happened.

I will probably go with OEM mounts initially (depending on price) and then upgrade to the Whiteline kit at a later date - been an expensive few months with the Forester on the mod front! :biggrin:

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
You were unlucky for both ends to break.

Subaru beefed them up with doubler plates later on.

Whiteline stout mounts are shorter than the OEM AFAIK :(
Not so. The original Whiteline ones used the same for Forester and Impreza but used an aluminium block plus longer bolts, to increase the height for the Forester application.

Later versions were different for the two applications.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Not so. The original Whiteline ones used the same for Forester and Impreza but used an aluminium block plus longer bolts, to increase the height for the Forester application.

Later versions were different for the two applications.
Thanks Don , do you know where I can get the correct ones from and the part numbers?
Also can I use different bushes with the Whiteline stout mounts and not the ones that come with the kit?
The reason I am asking is that I will be fitting a 21mm rear ARB so the 22mm whiteline bushes will be loose.

Has anyone tried the Perrin stout mounts? They have a tolerance so that the bar can slide forward-backward before locking it tight at the correct position.

Edit: is this the correct one?
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=KBR18-20
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=KBR18-22
The only difference between the 2 is the diameter of the rubber bush as far as I can tell.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You were unlucky for both ends to break.
Unlucky, or just trying really, really hard? :biggrin:

My XT is 8 years old now and has 106k on the clock - the last 15k or so have been spent bashing over White Horse Hill twice a day - so I think I'm pretty lucky both mounts haven't gone by now.

TH Whites are more or less on my may home so I'll give them a call in the morning about the OEM ones.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
KBR18-** is the part number, the second number relates to the bore size of the bushes supplied with the mounts (As per your link they come in 18,20 and 22mm for the Forester).

Usually the cheapest place for Whiteline kit is Balance Motorsport

Motorsport & Car Tuning Performance Parts

Where are you getting a 21mm bar from?

If its from a UK STi it will be 20mm so KBR18-20

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
It is from a RB320 which is 21mm.
So can I use the RB320 bushes on the Whiteline mounts?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
It is from a RB320 which is 21mm.
So can I use the RB320 bushes on the Whiteline mounts?
Think you will find its the standard 20mm rear bar. AFAIK its not one of the items Prodrive changed. (Bilstein Dampers and Eibach sports springs)

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Think you will find its the standard 20mm rear bar. AFAIK its not one of the items Prodrive changed. (Bilstein Dampers and Eibach sports springs)
It has a stamp of Eibach and Prodrive on it :)
Taken from RB320oc:
"Available only in Obsidian Black, the RB320 features bespoke 18" alloy wheels and a Prodrive developed, unique suspension kit comprising of Bilstein dampers, revised rear anti-roll bar and sports spring kit with a ride height lowered by 30 mm at the front and 10 mm at the rear."

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
IF that's the case then my bad . It doesn't mention the rear ARB in the official Subaru brochure for the RB320.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Yes, I was confused too until I saw the stamp and then did a search.
So still OK to use RB320 bushes on the the whiteline mount I guess?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
The eibach bushes will be made for the OEM mounts and differ from the Whiteline mount bushes.

You would probably get away with using Whiteline universal W0400-21 bushes.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Thanks Don!
So OEM bushes can only be used with OEM mounts due to the different screw thread I suppose?
I was hoping to do without polyurethene bushes as they need regular greasing but it seems not possible :(

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OEM bushes are held in place differently, I believe... the retaining strap is concave and they fit inside, whereas Whiteline mounts are designed to sit between two ridges on the bush. I have poly bushes and (had) stock mounts so I trimmed the poly ones with a Stanley blade so that would fit in the retaining strap.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts