Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear with me this is going to be long. After researching other related threads on this subject this is what I've done with my 98 forester 5 speed.

Few months back my car started bucking during accelleration between 1k and 2k rpms once above 2k it would smooth out and run fine during accelleration, a misfire code on cylinder 1 showed up, the spark plug gap was a little wide so I adjusted it. condition improved some and CEL went out and stayed off. Idled fine and ran fine at a constant speed.

Bucking, cutting out condition started to get worse again over the last few weeks but no CEL, same rpm range and only when accellerating. I replaced the fuel filter but no change and also used a few bottles of injector cleaner with no results. Idled fine and ran fine at a steady rpm even in the 1-2k range as long as I wasn't putting the gas to it.

I started reading this forum and so I replaced the spark plugs with NGK's, cylinder 1 plug had the insulator cracked and the top came off in the boot, thought for sure that was it. Bucking and cutting out cured during accelleration :icon_cool: but now it idles rough and feels like someone is tugging on the rear bumper when driving at a steady speed.:icon_sad: Accelleration is fine and deaccelleration is fine. But now CEL is on with a misfire on cylinder 1 again. Plug gap was set on plugs at .044, dealership says they are set where needed from factory.

Bought new plug wires and replaced, cleared ECU, no change. CEL misfire cyl 1

Bought new coil bank and replaced, cleared ECU, no change. CEL misfire cyl 1

Switched injector from cylinder 1 with cylinder 2, cleared the ECU and after driving about 15 miles the CEL came on again for misfire on cylinder 1 again so it isn't the injector either.

Ran the 02 sensor check with my code reader and sensor 1 tested ok but sensor 2 test failed. Said max sensor vol. test value was 0 and min. limit is .25 and max limit is 1.27. Could this be giving me a misfire CEL on cyl 1?????

Also in looking in my manual the spark plug gap says it should be .039 - .043 do you suppose the .044 they came at is causing it also? should I pull them back out and put them at .041 or .042?

any thoughts

Brian

·
Registered
1998 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I fixed the problem :woohoo: I decided to take out the #1 spark plug and adjust the gap down to .041 and when I got it out the gap was pushed down to about .010 What the heck!!!!

Now I know I checked all the plugs when I took them out of the box and laid them out on the tool chest and they were all at .044 so one of two things could have happened. Either the piston hit the plug and closed the gap (not likely unless I have a huge issue with a rod bearing or something like that) or one of my co-workers who were loitering around my car when I was working knocked one off the tool chest and it landed just right and closed the gap down and then didn't say anything about it.:icon_mad: Because once I checked them I didn't check them again before I put them in.

Anyway, she has her snap back and all is good :bananapartyhat: now I need to fix my clockspring.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts