Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm really lazy when it comes to washing my cars. So easier it is the more likely I am to do it. I've been using a product from Armorall called Power Wash gel which is made to go right on the vehicle rather then using bucket and water, then I would use a microfiber mitt to work the gel into a nice lather all over the car(well I did it in stages, roof, nose, rear, left, right) but you get the point). Anyway it keeps my Forester looking pristine. However, I'm almost out and to my dismay armorall has discontinued the product. So I need to find something similar to replace it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
You could use a foam gun with another car soap and just skip the bucket wash after although I don't recommend skipping the foam rinse and bucket wash on a really dirty vehicle, good luck.

Gilmour Foamaster Foam Guns

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
Sometimes between washes I'm using Turtlewax Ice Detailer... if it's just dusty, has some water spots or some birdcrap. Works great on black plastic.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
302 Posts
I have been using this Dri Wash 'n Guard stuff from California. It works really well, and I am comfortable using it. I can do the whole car in like 15 minutes, 10 if I am quick. Everybody is going to start talking crap now, but here is my 2 cents... this stuff is easy, consistent, and gets the job done. (I think it is worth placing the order)

DRI WASH 'n GUARD ::

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I have been using this Dri Wash 'n Guard stuff from California. It works really well, and I am comfortable using it. I can do the whole car in like 15 minutes, 10 if I am quick. Everybody is going to start talking crap now, but here is my 2 cents... this stuff is easy, consistent, and gets the job done. (I think it is worth placing the order)

Well let me be the first to talk crap then, lol. Just kidding, it looks like an interesting product and something I might try if I was ever in need of a waterless car wash but the fact that it is not designed to clean heavy dirt, mud, bug and such is kind of a turn off for me because I usualy don't wash the vehicle until at least one of those is present anyway but it may be a good alternative for someone who likes to keep their vehicle cleaner than some.

DWG International recommends that Dri Wash 'n Guard is used only on surfaces with light dust or dirt. DWG International's website FAQ page states that "Mud, clay, granules, heavy salt spray, bugs, heavy tar and tree sap are examples of things that cannot and should not be polished with DRI WASH 'n GUARD".

The FAQ goes on to state "Let common sense be your guide-if in doubt, rinse off the vehicle before applying DRI WASH 'n GUARD."

Waterless Motorcycle Wash - webBikeWorld

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
I like optimum no rinse. You don't have to rinse your car off after using it you just scrub and then dry. Still have to use a bucket though.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts

I picked up a bottle to try out not too long ago, after a recommendation from a neighbor who park two stalls over. Not bad, but nothing that stands out either. Good for light maintenance, but I wouldn't use it on neglected surfaces without proper washing or at least hosing the area down first. Personally, I think just about any decent over the counter product does just as good of a job, if not better and cheaper.

My favorite method right now is a mixture of Klasse AIO & distilled water. A cap full of AIO in a 32oz spray bottle does the trick. Excellent results, and much more economical.

The 33.8 oz AIO I picked up from Amazon is going on its 2nd year of usage as we speak. With weekly usage of the mixture, I still have a little over half of the concentrated stuff left.

Give this one a try. I think you will be pleased with the results & money saved in the long run.

Edited to add: I've heard nothing but good things about Optimum No Rinse. I'm going to give it a try as soon as the current shampoo (Nanowash & Wax) runs out.

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
12 Posts
i absolutely love klasse products. every time i wash i always follow up with a quick coat on the hood, front bumper (including headlights and fogs) and side mirrors. makes the bugs much, much easier coming off. just picked up a 33 oz bottle on ebay for 35 bucks.

i guess i am old school though as i dont think i would ever try a bucketless wash..well maybe on the 95 legacy which has not seen a wash in 5 years aside from rain..haha

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
i absolutely love klasse products. every time i wash i always follow up with a quick coat on the hood, front bumper (including headlights and fogs) and side mirrors. makes the bugs much, much easier coming off. just picked up a 33 oz bottle on ebay for 35 bucks.

i guess i am old school though as i dont think i would ever try a bucketless wash..well maybe on the 95 legacy which has not seen a wash in 5 years aside from rain..haha
Almost never here, unless I have no choice. And when that happens, I would always mist the crap out of the section(s) & gently wipe clean with micro fiber towels.

Caked on stuff though? No way. You just have to brave laziness and hose the sucker down.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Another Klasse fan here but I am a bit curious about what fairy dust they are using because with a product that old which supposedly has never changed it's formula, there must be magic dust of some kind as an active ingredient, lol.

I haven't tried to wash with the Klasse but have seen where others such as the previous poster had and loved the results and I find it amazing that a product so versatile has stood the test of time this long and I liken Klasse to WD40, Corn Huskers lotion, Vaseline and the rest of the old guard of products that just keep hanging around no matter how many young upstarts attempt to take them down a peg.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
....KSG was updated at the turn of the century but that was merely to replace a flammable ingredient so the product could be shipped via air and USPS. KAIO supposedly hasn't changed since 1979.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
I use optimum no rinse. Actually I love this stuff. We use it not just on cars but just about everything. It is really great.

If my car is really dirty I will spray it off with water to get off the big chunks of dirt and debris, Spray out wheel wells etc. Then I use a large spray bottle and spray the ONR on the car and wipe off. If the car starts out pretty clean then I just use a microfiber towel but again if I sprayed it off due to it being really dirty I use a bucket and sponge one section at a time and drying as I go. I really love it.

I like optimum no rinse. You don't have to rinse your car off after using it you just scrub and then dry. Still have to use a bucket though.

YouTube - Optimum No Rinse Wash Mustang Cobra

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I think most of us are lazy people including me, I have used many bucketless products and according to me QEW is best and even a better quality product over armorall.
….IMO I don’t think it’s a matter of most being lazy but more the fact that everyone has different levels of expectations and motivation/desire to reach their goal. A lot has to do with the individual’s situation as well. In the long run, as long as you are happy with the results using the products/tools you do, then that’s all that matters.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
77 Posts
Here's what I do sometimes and so far so good.........

I have a microfiber wash cloth on an extendable handle bought from wally world, etc.
I hose off the car, then put my soap product directly on the cloth, wet slightly then start scrubbing. It foams up well and typically last the entire car.
I wash then rinse sections at a time and occasionally have to re-wet the cloth, but typically never re-add soap.
Has worked well for the past couple of years I've been using this method.

Hope that makes sense.....

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
98 Posts
I use optimum no rinse. Actually I love this stuff. We use it not just on cars but just about everything. It is really great.

If my car is really dirty I will spray it off with water to get off the big chunks of dirt and debris, Spray out wheel wells etc. Then I use a large spray bottle and spray the ONR on the car and wipe off. If the car starts out pretty clean then I just use a microfiber towel but again if I sprayed it off due to it being really dirty I use a bucket and sponge one section at a time and drying as I go. I really love it.
+1 for optimum no rinse.... love the stuff

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
QEW user here, still do two buckets though :biggrin:

hose/soap bucket/ paint wash mit/ rinse bucket/ trim wash mit/ QEW mixed 50:50 with water in spray.
Wash done in 20min. Then wipe with clean microfiber/absorber, then microfiber and ultimate quik detail to finish.

yes I have a problem..:icon_redface:

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... I've been using a product from Armorall called Power Wash gel which is made to go right on the vehicle rather then using bucket and water, then I would use a microfiber mitt to work the gel into a nice lather all over the car... need to find something similar to replace it. Any suggestions?
I have used this for over ten years, and it is completely waterless:
DRI WASH 'n GUARD CLASSIC Waterless Car Wash
Dri Wash 'n Guard Waterless Car Wash

1 - 18 of 18 Posts