Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing oil in AT to Mobil ATF (Dexron III) there are bubbles (big - more then 1 mm and small - less then 1 mm) on the dipstick. Amount of bubbles is significant to note it. 1-2 and 2-3 gear switching are more jerky now.

Fluid's level is proper. On warmed-up engine and AT it become 1" higher then HOT_MAX with 200 ml fluid more and it stands at HOT_MIN with 200 ml less.

So, I have 2 ideas:

1. Inproper or bad quality fluid.
2. Inleakage of air at radiator and pipe connection - but there are no any marks of fluid there.

Any other ideas and solutions?

Thanks!

Car - Forester '00, AT with external filter.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Subaru automatic transmissions are not happy with synthetic fluids. I used the Mobile 1 AT syn fluid once and will never again. The shifts were very rough and sometimes feel like the gears slip just a bit when upshifting. After going back to non-syn AT fluid, the problems went away.

For your question, I am guessing low fluid. From what my mechanic once told me, low fluid can cause bubbles to form because air and fluid get suck up through the pump and filter. Best way to check is on flat surface in the morning. Checking the fluid level cold is more accurate IIRC. It maybe the seals if fluid is good. Or even your AT not liking the Mobile 1 like mine. :)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tre36
First - Mobil ATF is not synthetic-based fluid. Second - first of all I asked experienced people about exactly this fluid compatibility :)

Fluid level is proper, because adding 0.5L of fluid shifts level up high enough... I'm not sure about "honesty" of cold level, because it's -10 C at the morning... :) and as far as i know, cold level marks made for +15 +20 C.

Maybe I should use Dexron II instead... Or even original ECVT... :)

Drawing1.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could it be a fluid incompatability thing? Unless you flushed your tranny, you left at least half of the old fluid. It could be your old "Dexron" and new aren't mixing well and the bubbles are sort of an emulsion.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Make sure you check your at fluid with the car running.. and just running your engine w/o driving isn't going to warm up your fluid for a proper check

I'm pretty sure last time i checked I had bubbles... and you dont' want it above your hot upper level

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scooby-Doo
I flushed my AT - I changed oil throught cooling radiator on idle engine: fill 3 qt to AT, start engine, drain 3 qt from cooling pipe, stop engine - an so 3 times plus 5 qt throught drain bolt, so 14 qt - enought to flush AT, I suppose. Amount of drain and fill fluid is approximate same.

SenorSubie
Yep, I know right "procedure" to check level... :)

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Every Subaru ATF dipstick I have ever checked (and there have been a lot of them) has had bubbles in the fluid.

It is normal.

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
According to the factory service manual for several different Subaru vehicles, bubbles on the dipstick are not serious, but in large quantity can be an indication of water in the fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts